Special Education

Google docs for Data Collection

>

busybeing

Google docs for Data Collection
Old 08-30-2017, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello -

My district uses Google docs/Google classroom. I saw a Pinterest post on using Google docs to collect data towards IEP goals/objectives. It wasn't totally clear to me how the author of the post actually did this.

Have any of you out there used Google docs for data collection and if so, how did you implement it?

busybeing is offline   Reply With Quote

ITchComputers

Not Docs
Old 08-30-2017, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The easiest way is to create a Google Form - this will then collect the responses which you can view in the form or send to a Google Sheet.
ITchComputers is online now   Reply With Quote

busybeing

Old 08-31-2017, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Okay, thanks!

I'm still not sure how I would use it.... for example, most of my students have an objective that says they will learn 3-4 new sight words a week. Typically I would have them read from the Fry first 100 list. From there, I'd pick the first 3-4 words they missed, work on those words the first week, etc.

How would I use Google forms to track that?

teacher0729

Old 08-31-2017, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love it! I make one google form per goal and usually my goals are written to have a percentage done correctly (I.e. read word list with 80% accuracy)so I do mine as multiple choice with the choices being 90-100%, 80-89%, 70-79% and so on.

But you could have just a short answer type question that says "what words did they misread?" And you write down the words just to keep all your data in one place. Or you have yes/ no like "did they learn 4 new sight words?" And then write down which ones or something.

I also love that I can send it to gen ed teachers to fill out for behavior goals.
teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

ITchComputers

A couple of options
Old 08-31-2017, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You could do something similar to this using forms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsyUAluzOsU

Or, you could use Google Spreadsheets like this: https://rrrerin2learn.wordpress.com/...google-sheets/

busybeing

Old 09-02-2017, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great, thanks! So, do you have to go into forms, type in the word list you want them to read, and then sit next to them and choose a, b, c, or d for what they read, as far as percentages? Do you have the same goal for most students where you can copy and paste this into several forms? Just seems it could get tedious for someone in my position where we create individualized goals for each student and I'd have to re-type several words lists into different Forms... not quite making the connection yet how this is more efficient than having various word lists premade on paper...

For my kiddos, "what words did they misread" would be a lengthy list if I were testing them on, say a Fry list, and wouldn't tell me much as far as what I need to teach next.. In my state, we're prohibited from saying what the student CAN'T do in their IEPs. Their current level of performance in their IEP has to state what the student CAN do so my focus would need to be on how many words of a certain word list they COULD read.

Seems like it's a LOT more work than the paper and pencil, sit across from them, mark what words they got wrong and do a quick side by side analysis to determine growth .... did it take you long to get up and running with this? How do you run charts/graphs to show progress??

Believe me, I am not allergic to technology in anyway whatsoever lol - I'm a career changer from business and it shocks me how little educators use technology! I will check out the YouTube video but... not hopeful this is something I have time to implement this year

busybeing

Old 09-02-2017, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for the videos!!! They were very helpful for the sight word assessment... Seems very time intensive... I don't even have my student's IEPs yet and we've been in school for a week! Next year, I will keep on my admin for my caseload list earlier and will make this a nice little summer project!!!!

Thank you!

ITchComputers

You might just start with
Old 09-02-2017, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A Google Sheet to track progress the way you do now. Maybe have a sheet for each student and the total word list (one per row). Have a column for each date you test them and then mark the ones they get right in the column. Sheets (which is like Excel) has built in charts & graphs - see the Explore option - or you can make your own.