Different level students and only 30 min? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Different level students and only 30 min?

>

teacher0729

Different level students and only 30 min?
Old 08-31-2017, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have 30 minutes to do pull out reading instruction with 3 students and 2 are at one level (4th grade level) and the other student is much lower (2nd grade level). Have any of you been in this situation? Do I just meet with each group for only 15 minutes and have them do independent work when not with me? Or, do I keep my lower student in the group with the other students' instruction but then give the higher students independent work while I give the lower student their level instruction for 15 minutes so that the lower student gets both? I'm just not sure I could give the one lower student meaningful independent work- it's not like they can partner read with someone because it is just one student? Any tips?

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachsph2008

30 minute reading instruction
Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First of all, see what their IEP says. If each student is supposed to get 30 minutes of service, then you need to provide that or be out of compliance.

Their grade levels are different, but not extremely far apart. Most of their skills will overlap. If you were teaching main idea, both groups could do that, but you might need to provide a lower level book for the 2nd grader.

Managing it will be the hardest part (it's doable once you get your flow going). For the first week or so, or until you get enough materials and a better feel for the students, I'd have them do pretty much the same thing or something you can work with them together.
teachsph2008 is offline   Reply With Quote