Help

First Grade

Testing

>

2ndgradekat

Testing
Old 08-31-2017, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For most of us back to school means data, data, data. My school system is no different. We have only been in school one week and all of our testing is going to happen next week. My question is what do you do with all your other students while you are testing? This is my first year in first grade and these kids are so talkative. I need some meaningful activities they can work on while I am testing. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
2ndgradekat

2ndgradekat is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We're testing after just 2 weeks in school too
Old 09-02-2017, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but we get a sub for a day and a half in order to do the testing. Could you get a parent to come in and help keep them working quietly while you test? Or do you have a computer lab where they could work while you call kids over to test? Maybe craft activities and/or a video.
What kind of testing are you doing? We do the Reading Recovery Observational Survey which takes about 45 minutes per child. At this point in first grade it's so hard to find anything meaningful that they can do independently.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Easy stations
Old 09-02-2017, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I set up a station rotation chart for when I am testing. I test for 60 mins (rotate every 15) in the morning and then squeeze in another 15 mins. after lunch, with a little extra time for transitions.

I have 5 kids at each station.
1. Cut and paste (match uppercase to lowercase letters, match pics and beginning sounds, match rhyming pics, arrange ABC's or abc's in order, match quantity pics to numerals, arrange #1-30 in order), etc. Check out TeachersPayTeachers and Google for ready-made activities.
2. Computer Time - ABCya, Starfall, etc.
3. ABC Center - kids choose from various beginner puzzles, manipulatives, 2 pc. puzzles, file folder activities, etc. I've collected over the years. Target $$ Spot and Dollar Stores are great for this.
4. Math on the Rug - connecting cubes, geo-boards, pattern blocks/design cards, color/shape/size sorting, or any math manipulative they can use without instruction or assistance.
5. Testing Group/ABC Book. I stapled together a half-page book with an upper/lowercase letter on each page. Kids draw a picture of a matching object on each page. They work on this over several days while I pull kids for testing.

I also have puzzles available or kids can visit the class library if they finish early or need to be moved out of their group.

I do my 1:1 testing in short spurts for each child. One day I will test everyone on sight words, another day just one section of DIBELS, etc.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm going to introduce my reading rotations the first week (we start Tuesday). I'll have 5 at computers and the rest doing seatwork. I'll have easy to do stuff that they won't need much direction for. I've seen some teachers put in videos and pull kids out in the hall but I think the kids would rush to get back to the video and I don't want to leave my class alone either.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndgradekat

Computers
Old 09-03-2017, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do have one to one computers this year so that may work. My group was allowed to talk while they worked last year so think they can this year. That has been my challenge this past week. We have to complete mclass testing and iready testing next week.

2ndgradekat

Old 09-03-2017, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I printed some seat work for them and I may have to do that as well as computers. I have a very talkative group this year and had to move many clips. I am hoping they finally realized they could not talk all the time after loosing their Friday treat. If they can work quietly seat work might work.

2ndgradekat

Love this idea.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have not introduced guided reading stations yet with my group but this may work during testing since it is allowing them to move around every 15 minutes and they are doing something fun. I am a little worried about the talking with this group but I think it may just work if I am strick with the no talking rule from the begining. Testing was a breeze last year when I was teaching 2nd because the students are much more independent. Thanks for your help.

Mrs. S.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you have 1-1 computers that's great. Maybe put privacy stations around them so they won't be tempted to talk. We only have 5 per classroom.

I pull whatever I can to keep them busy. I try to get through all my testing in a week but sometimes it takes a little longer. This year our reading block is so long! I may try to teach a little in the middle of it, just to give them a break from centers. I think they get talkative after a while.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote