Help

High School

Kill Me

>

AZsub

Kill Me
Old 09-02-2017, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been subbing for 15 years in high school. This is a first for me, thankfully. Had an autistic student that was in the library doing a class project (with the class). As I was circling around, I noticed he was not really doing the project. He had typed in a very large font "Kill Me." He was staring at it and changing colors etc. I do not know if he was fooling around. He is a Sheldon Cooper type of Autistic (high functioning). I did ask him to start doing the class work and did not speak to him about his kill me message.

When I returned to class, I wrote a message to the teacher and at lunch went to speak to the asst principle with whom I have a speaking friendship with.

So as a regular teacher, how would you have handled this? What follow up would have been done?

AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-03-2017, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is behavior that definitely requires a response of some sort. When I was a full-time classroom teacher, I would have contacted the child's case manager. In my school, that person works with the child (if they are on an IEP or 504 plan) regularly. Failing that for any reason, I would contact their guidance counselor. I think it is fine if you left a note for the teacher, but also contacted the AP. Just so someone who knows the kid and/or is charged with student well-being hears about it that very day.

It could be "nothing"...or it could be very significant. Without knowing the kid, you have no way to know. So reporting it was the right thing to do.

Personally, I would have been similarly matter-of-fact with the kiddo in class, and just redirected him. But I definitely would have reported it, too.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Well-handled
Old 09-03-2017, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you did the right thing by both putting it in the teacher's note and informing the AP. People who know the student will take it from here.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

Response
Old 09-03-2017, 10:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for confirming I did the right thing.
AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote