Opinions on cutesy fonts in lower grades? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Opinions on cutesy fonts in lower grades?

>

Risa

Opinions on cutesy fonts in lower grades?
Old 07-30-2017, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've mostly taught 4th through 8th grade, but a couple of former team partners are now moving to Kindergarten and 2nd grade. I've been working on making some resources for them, but I'm torn between making them 'cute' with a wide variety of fonts or making them functional with fonts that will give their students opportunities to keep practicing their reading skills with the letter shapes (comic sans fonts) they are learning.

As I search through K-2nd grade classroom blogs, TPT, or Instagram I've seen many bulletin boards, organization tools and even work papers with titles written in various fonts (including cursive fonts) that have lots of curly cues and a mix of upper case and lower case within words. I can see that the various fonts are used for aesthetic appeal, but I'm wondering what experienced lower grade teachers think about this for beginning readers.

Don't these various fonts confuse young students as their reading skills are developing? For those who create their own posters and student work, do you stick to basic fonts or do you use a variety of fonts?

Thanks for the insights you can give me!

Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

I think they confuse kids
Old 07-30-2017, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you want the information to be approachable and legible, don't use cutesy fonts. I have found that with third graders cursive at the beginning of the year is a secret language that takes time for them to learn how to read it. You can add ruffles and bright colors and pictures or icons to keep it cute. Enjoy the young kids.
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-30-2017, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As a K teacher, I prefer a manuscript font, with uppercase and lowercase letters used appropriately.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Just as I thought! Thanks!
Old 07-30-2017, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I appreciate that you took the time to let me know, because I truly was unsure about what to do! Now I can work on those pages with more confidence! Thanks again!
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 07-31-2017, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with everyone else and want to add that for students with reading disabilities and some other learning disabilities, these types of fonts can make reading much more difficult. Same for documents crowded with clip art.

WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

I like simple clean fonts
Old 09-04-2017, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

that approximate the letter shapes I want my students to use. Century Gothic is a good one. ABC Print is another. KGMiss Kindergarten is also one I use frequently.

Busy fonts are confusing, and lots of art on a paper is just wasting space, not too mention distracting. Keep things clean and simple!
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 09-05-2017, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree that the over the top curly cues and such are a no go. However, I use multiple fonts on purpose. I want my students exposed to the fact that letters can look a little different, but that doesn't change what they are or their sound. I can't control the fonts in the books they read, so my hope is that if I've exposed them, then they're ready. I've seen a lot of kids get confused with letters, especially a, g, i, l, t, and y. They get so dead set on what they've been taught that they just can't handle it when the a in the library book isn't a circle with a tail for example.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

Old 09-06-2017, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I like to use clean and simple fonts, but I don't just stick to one font. I use the KG fonts for a lot of things. I also like several of the fonts on Google Docs.
Sasha B is online now   Reply With Quote