Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Pre-School Students with Disabilities

>

thunderroad

Pre-School Students with Disabilities
Old 09-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,

After the first day of having students back at the school, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I am a resource teacher (push in and pull out) for grades ranging from pre-school (3 years old) up to 3rd grade. Having to balance these five different grade levels was initially my biggest concern heading into the year, but I've quickly realized that there is one student in particular that I feel unprepared to help provide service to.

The student is 3 years old and in an inclusive classroom. He is a student with Down's syndrome that, from what I can tell in talking with the mother and reviewing his file, has very little, if any, exposure to English. According to his file, he can understand and respond to approx. 10 words in Spanish.

I am very lost as to where to begin with this student. My experience in special education has been in third and fourth grades and I have not had any experience working with students with communication challenges. This is my second year teaching. I have already begun to do some research but if anyone has any advice, tips, resources, etc. that could help me find a place to begin, I would be very appreciative. My school has very limited resources so the internet tends to be my best place for guidance.

Thank you!!

thunderroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Do you have any
Old 09-05-2017, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

guidance or input from your Special Ed Director, Speech Therapist or the PreSchool Teacher?

I have never dealt with students that young but have many years experience with students who have Down Syndrome and a few who are bilingual.

I think you are on the right path in researching things online and reviewing records. I think I would talk to the folks in my first question next. Did the mom work with Parents as first Teachers or any supplemental services?

I think at his age and ability level, I would start with some basic games and easy assessments in that vein. If he is in Speech, I would ask what she intends to work on first and see if there are any activities you can replicate in your time with him. It would be a good start and it never hurts to get the additional practice.

As adorable as he probably is, make sure you do not baby him. Have high but reasonable expectations. Remember that all behavior is communication.

You can also communicate a lot by pointing, showing, hand over hand, modeling and so on. Maybe pick out a few things from the PreSchool routine and go over those with him. Does he have a card with his name or a basic symbol to indicate his cubby or desk? If not, make one. (Like put an animal or whatever sticker on his nametag and his cubby and his desk until he recognizes his name.) Go over how to enter the room, put his things away, go to his desk, etc. I would assume nothing. I would practically start from scratch with him.

Good luck. In all my years serving kids, those precious angels with DS are always my favorite student population.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 09-05-2017, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have an ESL person at your school? They might be of some help!
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 09-05-2017, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What does the child's IEP say? Present level of performance, goals and objectives, strengths and needs, related services?
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 09-06-2017, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach preschool spec ed and have had a few ESL students with Down syndrome. I usually collab with the speech therapist to decide on a communication method (pecs, sign language, etc.) and then use a first/then board to present tasks, as well as for classroom routine. Depending on cognitive level, I might create a choice board with pictures of each classroom center for him to make a choice where he wants to go. If he has lower cognitive skills, I would probably do an object schedule instead with an object as a representation for each center he need to go to