Help

Special Education

Remembering names

>

sonoma

Remembering names
Old 09-05-2017, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am working with an older gentleman one on one post stroke. The thing he wants most to do is remember the names of his grandchildren. It upsets him that he gets them mixed up. Do you know of any techniques or tricks I can use to help him. I am not sure if this is a result of his stroke or just a matter of growing older

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sarv2017

Sarv2017

Names
Old 09-06-2017, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a terrible time with names myself. This might sound silly but something that helps me is to associate a descriptive/alliterative word with the name. Of course I would never say these to the kids or out loud haha. For example: Timid Tina, or Jumpy Jack. It really helps me!

TaffyFL

Association
Old 09-07-2017, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with Sarv2017. I am terrible with names and try to associate the name with something about the person I am apt to remember. I am really bad when their names are similar. So I focus on the kid and say to myself: "Jack likes football and playing tag." or "John likes to go fishing with his dad." It helps me associate their name with the kid and I remember things about the kid I can use later (I found this book about fishing you might like...).
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Cues
Old 09-07-2017, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How often does he see them? Assuming that he's not living with the children, you might suggest putting up photos of the children with their names underneath. That way he could review their names anytime he wants to.

The fact that their names are so important to him means that the children are important to him. He might enjoy writing them notes, skyping with them, sending cards, or even just talking with you about them.

If you really want to WORK on it, you could try a matching game--matching the name with the picture. (Of course, next time he sees the grandchildren, they will have changed their clothes, grown a little older, combed their hair differently...)
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote