Help

Special Education

Selective Mutism

>

Munchkins

Selective Mutism
Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I will have a student with SM. I've had a student with this before, and she ended up whispering to classmates, and was a very effective communicator (she would point and write me notes all the time.)

The child coming in met with me for screening and did respond to testing questions and even read to me in a quiet, one on one environment. The mom, of course, is worried about how she will function in class. I have some ideas, and will be meeting with the mom and psychologist. I've only had one day of training, and that was at least 9 years ago. Does anyone have any tips/ideas for me? One thing I'm going to do after I speak to my P is invite the child in to the classroom before school begins on Wednesday so she can see where her seat is, and I can show her the girls' room (she has accidents because she won't ask to go.) The mom doesn't think she'll eat in the cafeteria, but I'm prepping and running around while the class is at lunch, so I don't want to have her eat with me in the classroom.

Thanks! I want to help this child have a successful year!

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Ideas
Old 09-04-2017, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you set an alarm for two times a day to remind her to go. Just pass her a paper that says "Go to the restroom if you need to" or a visual of something completely unrelated so that no one else knows what it means, only you two. Or have her give you the visual when she needs to go.
Make sure you let any teachers who have recess duty Or lunch duty know about the system.

Would assistive technology/communication device work for her? Or would she be too shy to use It? I've never had a student with SM before, so I'm not sure if these would work or not.
I found this website that may help https://www.selectivemutism.org/samp...m-an-educator/

Last edited by momteachsis; 09-04-2017 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: Added the website
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

NoRunning

Sm
Old 09-09-2017, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a student like that a couple years ago. It was very challenging she was only comfortable around me and one of my paras and would not talk to anyone else or even go anywhere in the building without one of us. It was terrible and I never had lunch on my own. I would have her go to lunch right away on the first day. Have her friends sit by her.

Here are my other suggestions:

1. Find out what her interests are and build a relationship right away.
2. Find out if she has any friends/students she feels comfortable around and make sure she is in class with them and is near to them-especially at lunch. This is so important. You do not want to be the one person she clings to. Help teach her to build those relationships.
3. See if she is interested in texting communication.
4. Ask her yes/no questions or this or that questions to start out with.

Dr. Aimee Korba does a lot with SM you should check out her info.

Good luck!
NoRunning is offline   Reply With Quote