Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Wanting to go to middle school

>

learn

Wanting to go to middle school
Old 09-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I now teach Kindergarten. Many friends of mine have said to move to either high school or middle school to teach in which is easier, less paperwork and dealing with less parent demands.

I'm not good in math nor in the science area. With that being said, any language arts or reading teachers out there teaching the upper grades that can share what are the demands of teachings this subjects? And is the test difficult to pass?

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I teach SpEd 6th-12th
Old 09-03-2017, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

so it may be different. I taught K-5th special ed for seven years. Was offered MS first and loved it.

When I moved again, the only opening was MS/HS. I still love it.

They are some who feel the Core Content tests for MS/HS content areas are tough. I didn't have trouble with the only for Sped but I am a good test taker.

To me, I find that the kids are bigger but a lot of the problems and behaviors are very similar.

I think many of the skills in ELA or reading are transferable. Go for it!
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

Material
Old 09-03-2017, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What about the material I would have to use? Is it difficult? Would I have to study that quite a bit before teaching each lesson?

I am in lee county florida?

Lottalove

i guess it depends on what skills you have
Old 09-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

now. How long have you been out of college? Most schools have fairly good curriculum in place for the ELA classes. Also, I think ELA is an area that has less changes long term as compared to math or science.

Maybe there is a pretest or something you can take to double check your aptitude for the upper levels.

Personally, I think K is one of the hardest levels to teach so I already give you mad props for surviving that...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

yes
Old 09-03-2017, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I took the practice test and got a 47% given I have been out of college since 2006. Also, I only have a birth to 3rd grade certificate, so was just wondering if the material I would teach be intense vs. what I am teaching now.

I am ESOL endorsed and gifted endorsed. I know this probably doesn't help but I gather if I do study I can probably score at least an 86% average which would be passing.

But my main concern is the teaching/material's part in the classroom...

Ima Teacher

Old 09-03-2017, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There may be fewer parent demands, but the student demands are a handful. There are still helicopter parents, too. And the kids don't tell their parents things, and the parents think we have dropped the ball. Puberty turns kids into a whole other animal, and the parents assume it is something we have done to their sweet babies. I'm also up to my eyeballs in testing and paperwork.

In language arts we have to cover standards for reading, writing, language usage, and speaking & listening. And we have ONE class period to teach it. There are a lot of stresses to improve student performance.

I'm not sure about tests. I don't remember taking any,

Last edited by Ima Teacher; 09-04-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Personality
Old 09-03-2017, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have taught pretty much all grade levels. To me, there is a huge difference in personalities between our elementary and secondary teachers. Huge! I teach 7th and 8th. We have a teacher who moved up from elementary (maybe 4th) and she is driving kids crazy. She keeps calling them "girls and boys" and uses a bit of a condescending tone. That can be the kiss of death because ms kids want to be treated like they are older, although they occasionally act younger! I think to work with older kids you need a thick skin. Students are on an emotional rollercoaster and can be volatile at times.

As to the content, I remember my cert. test being pretty difficult for English. There was a lot on there about literary terms and authors. They really expected you to be familiar with a lot of authors. I don't know how well-read you are, but that would help. I would take a look at a testing guide and go from there.

Like Imateacher said, in LA, we have to shove a lot of content into an hour class. We do everything from Socratic Seminar to debates to research and back to poetry. At my school, we no longer use textbooks. We do same class novels and a lot of nonfiction due to the Common Core. The pressure from state testing seems to be lessening a bit. We have a big push toward technology. My school wants to do a lot of hybrid things like flipping classes and using online platforms.

I do think there is less parent contact. Though, you could get a lot of emails, I almost never see parents aside from our open house. That being said, we don't always have a lot of options with disruptive students. We can't say, "five minutes off of recess" so I feel like we really do have to spend a huge amount of effort to prevent issues.

For paperwork, I always have at least 120 students. I have five classes a day and one class of reading remediation. So think about what that is like to grade ONE assignment. Essay time can be a hassle. For each holiday break, I often spend a day grading tests or papers. I don't know if that is less paperwork.

Getting kids to read seems to get harder and harder. At times I feel like they are zombies who just want to play on their cell phones. That is hard to compete with. I say if you are still interested after reading this, go for it. (Oh, having a weird sense of humor also helps!)
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

Lol
Old 09-04-2017, 02:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Oh my goodness! I think I'll stay with kindergarten. Yes, I have to put up with a lot of stuff with parents at times, but I think I will count my blessings!

Just that my son, and two teacher friends of mine whom teach math say how easy it is!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe for them because of their positions. My teacher friends teach Math which comes very easy to them . They have power points, and for the most part they don't have to redo anything bc their material is done year to year of what they use.

I don't think I"m that smart! I love to read but I don't have that great of knowledge with the authors. I THINK I'll stay in kinder for now, maybe go to second grade.

Thank you PT for all the great advice! I DON't know how you do high school or middle school with those emotions.

Mshope

MS Issue
Old 09-10-2017, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes, I would stay in KG. Actually, we are having two student issues that make me want to teach KG. They are so gross that I don't even want to describe them. There are some things that we just don't get paid enough to deal with.

Count your blessings
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote