Help

Third Grade

Pencils

>

teachgrade3

Pencils
Old 09-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Looking for good ideas to waste the least amount of time with sharpening pencils? Do you have extra pencils for the kids who don't have or when the break? Thanks.

teachgrade3 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-02-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My kids sharpen 2-3 pencils in the am and that's it. If they don't have any during the day they ask a friend or check the orphan box.

This year I'm trying something new. Instead of keeping all of their supplies in their desks, they have 2-3 pencils, a pen and a highlighter. Everything else goes in their supply bag (a gallon zip) in boxes (I got the cardboard boxes that hold tomatoes from the grocery store) on the counter. Table captains get bagsnwhen we need supplies. It's been amazing. Desks are cleaner and more organized, kids aren't playing with supplies in their desks, and supplies seem to be lasting longer.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it's been working great for me to both control sharpening, stop wasting pencils and other supplies and keep kids out of their desks (well, limit it).
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

beagles2

This may not help you for this year but . .
Old 09-02-2017, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a lot of pencils left over from last year, and bought several more packages of Ticonderogas from Costco. Then I sharpened all of them. When I was done I had 4 large Ziplock bags filled with sharpened pencils.

On the first day of school I collected all the students' pencils and gave them 7 of my sharpened ones. Now I'm doing the Winning the Pencil War (free on TpT) system. Over the next few months I'll be sharpening the pencils the students brought (even though they're supposed to bring in sharpened ones, most don't) so I always have sharpened pencils. We never, ever sharpen pencils in class, unless they're colored pencils used for coloring.

Honestly, I have an electric sharpener at home and will sit and sharpen pencils while watching sports or a movie or something, and it's no big deal. I love not dealing with pencils at school!

I do not believe in the 'Your not having a pencil is not my problem.' attitude so many teachers seem to be taking. The Winning the Pencil War system rewards kids for being responsible and keeping their pencils. I think I spend maybe 12-15 minutes every Friday on this system, again with NO sharpening in class all week.

I'm a 20+ year veteran of third grade and this is the easiest system I've ever used.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-03-2017, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have community supplies so each table of 4 students has 8 pencils in the caddie. If they break a pencil or it gets dull, they put it in the dull basket and take one from the sharp basket. At the end of the day, one student has the job to sharpen all the dull pencils.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

dizzydolphin

Best system ever!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love this system,beagles2 ! In my room I call it Pencil Challenge. The kids turn in their pencil case of the 7 pencils once a week and I sharpen what needs to be sharpened and replace missing ones. I give a candy reward for students who have 7 pencils at the end of the week. No sharing of pencil germs, which turned me off community pencils. No sharpening in class which drove me crazy and wore out many pencil sharpeners. And best of all, they really take care of their pencils. Its a win-win situation.

dizzydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

pencils
Old 09-04-2017, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I got tired of the same students "eating" pencils every day, so I quit doing community supplies this year. Each child has a large gallon ziplock with his/her name on it. That's stored in a huge tub under the cubbies. In their desk they have a few sharpened pencils (I have an electric one that only I'm allowed to use), a highlighter, a bag of crayons, and a few pencil top erasers. It's the ones they brought.

If they need a pencil sharpened throughout the day, I can do it quickly. I only get about 3 a day! If they lose all the ones in their desk bag, they get one from their storage bag. When those run out, I'll send Mom a note to get new ones.

So far it's working REALLY well. It may be the group of students I have, but I'll definitely go this route again next year.

I also allow mechanical pencils, so that may have helped. They know they're not allowed to play with them or I take them (only happened twice in a month). I gave them back after a week and they didn't play with them anymore!
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Swap pencils from community basket
Old 09-05-2017, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This year, most of the classrooms I sub in have the following procedure:

At the beginning of the day...students are allowed to get pre-sharpened pencils from the Sharpened basket... and put broken/dull pencils in the Need-to-be-sharpened basket. Students keep at least 3 sharp pencils at their desks/tables.

Students aren't allowed to use the pencil sharpener during the day. As a reward... there is a student designated to sharpen pencils during the 15 minutes they are waiting to go HOME.

This procedure eliminates a lot of noise and "visiting" away from their desks during instruction/working times.
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 09-05-2017, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I get to set the school supply list for my grade so I ask for sharpened Ticonderoga pencils. I ask for way more than we actually need and collect them as community supplies (4 dozen each). It's magical having a year supply of sharp pencils. I just trade the out the pencil bin with a fresh sharpened box. In June, I divide out the used pencils to take home for the summer. One less thing to worry about!
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

teach53

Caddies
Old 09-14-2017, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We use caddies where the students supplies are all in containers on the desks. Everyone shares the supplies. Two caddies per set of 6 desks. I sharpen dull pencils at end of day which only takes a few minutes. Haven't had a problem so far.
teach53 is offline   Reply With Quote