How do you run your academic centers/stations? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Kindergarten

How do you run your academic centers/stations?

>

Sbkangas5

How do you run your academic centers/stations?
Old 09-10-2017, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm considering changing the structure of my academic center time. Just wondering how everyone runs theirs and the pros/cons. I don't like rotating to 3 or 4 centers every 10/15 minutes - it just doesn't work for me. We usually spend 30-45 minutes in centers.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 09-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Honestly, it changes every year depending on what my students can handle. Last year was my dream class! I listed the centers/independent work choices for the week. Starred the items that were required. Students chose their work, cleaned up, moved to new centers all on their own and at their own pace. At the end of the week they turned in their folder with completed work from the required list. I pulled groups and individuals as needed. I didn't have to watch the clock or worry about rotations.

This year (so far) I have 6 centers. Groups rotate to 3 centers each day, about 15 minutes each.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-12-2017, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have 3 rotations: one independent, one with me (guided reading) and one with my aide (handwriting/letters/sounds). My kids are super young (none turns 6 before March!), so those rotations are only 25 minutes each. Then I have a whole group lesson after.

My ELA block is from 10:30-12:15.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 09-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is my first year in kindergarten although I did three years as a Title I teacher and worked with kindergarten there. My guided reading/centers block is 30 minutes long. Right now I have been doing roughly 2 15 minute rotations. I work with two groups of students and everyone else works independently or with their group (which are currently partners). I used those rainbow drawers (there's 10) and put a bunch of different centers in them, then I set up an Ipad station, listening station, big book station, and ABC tub. The ABC tub basically just has a bunch of games working on identifying letters. Students are assigned two centers but are told they have to complete the first before moving to the second. This really only applies to listening station and the rainbow drawers. So far it's worked well and kept the kids engaged. By having activities kind of open ended I don't have to create a bunch of centers for each week or spend a lot of time prepping my centers. I just add/remove ABC games from the tub, add/remove centers from the drawers, and find new books for the listening center each week.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote