Help

Kindergarten

Getting Students Ready to Blend

>

Lillybabe

Getting Students Ready to Blend
Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know it is much too early in the year for students to be blending even CVC words. What I am wondering is what things can I try with students who already know their sounds to get them ready to blend? I have one student who is already able to put cvc words together. I have two others who know all of their sounds but aren't ready to blend yet. I'm aware this is advanced and my background is teaching reading. What I am wondering is do you guys have ideas of where to go for activities? I am thinking they need more phonemic awareness. Beginning sound, middle sound, ending sound, rhyming, syllable counting perhaps, etc. Any good programs, websites, specific teacherpayteacher folks that have worked well for you? The curriculum I am using seems kind of sparse on such things and we're doing some Haggerty but I'm thinking something to do at guided reading with 2-3 students.

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-16-2017, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I actually use a blend of two books - Phonemic Awareness in Young Children and Phonemic Awareness: Playing With Sounds.... (I hope those links work - sometimes they do for me and sometimes they don't). I also sometimes use what is in our curriculum (Wonders) but feel these are much better. Both have lots of good activities for using both whole group and small, and I kind of like to pick and choose which fit my kids best depending on what skill we are working on. I would also work on blending onset and rime with those kiddos who are almost ready.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know I'm just a preschool teacher (but I did get certified to teach prek to 3rd years ago).

I don't have your pressures and time constraints either.

However, I teach c/vc oral blending gently every day by hiding all the letters except first one in the book title, kids say the sound (or I do), then move over letter by letter til the word is done. I then put my 2 fists together as I say the first sound and the rime a few times.

My approaching- 4 year olds are now getting it! Some of them are blending c/vc words easily now. I test them during recess.

It did take 2 months and you don't have that kind of time, but that may be all the work a lot of your kids will need in order to start blending, at least c/vc words.

Hope you don't mind my 2 cents.
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote