Help

Special Education

Brigance Results versus DRA

>

momteachsis

Brigance Results versus DRA
Old 09-16-2017, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My student only scored 2nd grade for the Reading Vocabulary Placement test in Brigance because he missed all three questions on the 3rd Grade level (finding which word doesn't belong in the list). When I started on the Short passages comprehension part of the test, he mastered all the way to the 7th grade level. He did the same on the Long passages part of the test.

The DRA kit we have only goes up to 40, and he mastered that, including the retell. No one in our district seems to have a DRA kit that goes higher.

The scores don't really correlate. Just to clarify, we are required to do both the Brigance and the DRA, plus the AFLS all before the student's annual IEP which is at the end of this month. I just got him in late August, so I don't know him that well.

If I include the 2nd grade score in the present levels, then I will have to write a goal on vocabulary, but it seems he knows vocabulary in context. Any advice is appreciated.

momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-16-2017, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What grade is the student in?

I've never given the Brigance, so I can't help you there. I can tell you that my entire state has gotten rid of the DRA (this was mandated by our state department of ed) because it was found to not be a valid assessment. From the years we did have it, I always thought it was extremely subjective and two different teachers could easily give two completely different scores after testing the same student. All this to say, I wouldn't rely on that score as being that accurate.

As far as the vocabulary, I would gather some additional data, including some from his classroom teacher, to help you decide one way or the other. If you have multiple other data sources showing vocabulary isn't a problem, it seems that you could just explain that the Brigance score was an anomaly in the present levels. Another option is to just write the vocab goal. There really isn't any harm in including it, and it will be an easy goal for him to pass. Here, vocabulary would be considered a language goal and would be handled by the SLP. I know everywhere is different though!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Student in 11th
Old 09-16-2017, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Student is in 11th grade but older.

I am his classroom teacher. He is new to me but placed here in my self-contained class due to IQ and functional skills.
. Vocabulary could be Speech or Academic here but his previous school discontinued Speech. I decided to write the goal as you suggested. At least I have evidence why I wrote it if asked
Thanks!
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote