Help

Second Grade

Interrupting!

>

short_bread

Interrupting!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I have just finished my first full week of second grade. I love my second graders. I have a great class this year, but often their excitement bubbles over and they interrupt me constantly. It's either interrupting or every time i stop reading to turn a page they must comment.

I'm guessing this is very typical in second grade. I want to try to reduce it as much as possible. I know some of them just won't be able to break this habit (at least not completely) but I digress...

We've read and discussed "Interrupting Chicken" and "My Mouth is a Volcano." We have a social emotional learning curriculum which I am sure will hit on this topic. I think we discuss it as "whole body listening."

My question to you is: do you have a creative, perhaps visual, way of dealing with this? I think a visual cue would really help.

Thanks!

K.

short_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 09-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my class we have a rule....no stories.....during instructional time. If someone raises their hand while I'm talking I motion to put it down without addressing it. In the beginning I often ask "is this a story" and if they start I just stop them and continue on. I also don't allow comments during story time. When the story is over I allow one or two to tell me something and I sort of keep track so I am not calling on the same people each day. It is hard for them at first, but be consistent and they will learn. (at least most of them...) I also have wind chimes that I will touch when I need their attention - maybe it could be used a reminder when they interrupt. I used to have a red stop sign that I would put on the board that meant no talking, then I would change it to yellow when low talking was allowed or comments. Green meant they could talk freely to each other. I haven't used that in a long time now that I think about it.
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 09-16-2017, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Not affiliated

The tpt seller/ instagrammer
Justaprimarygirl just did a whole thing about this. She had her kids sort cards based on is this a reason to interrupt or not. She has it in her tpt store. Looks great!
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 09-17-2017, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I remember one year having the worst time ever with a class of blurters. I started putting a tally mark on the board every time someone blurted out during a lesson. I challenged them to get fewer tallies every day. It was very effective.

I sometimes did the same on an individual basis with a sticky note on the student's desk.
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote