Help

Special Education

Filling in the gaps

>

Teachercat2

Filling in the gaps
Old 09-11-2017, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am working with 2nd and 3rd grade students this year who have some interesting reading and writing gaps. They are able to read blends and long vowel patterns and various other patterns, but when they are given basic CVC words or a mix of CVC and CVCe they seem to struggle. I want to do meaningful reading activities with them, but I also want to fill in the gaps. I'd like to use a phonics program, but all that is available to me is Wilson Fundations, but that seems too complicated for these students. Also for their writing, their teacher last year was having them work on paragraphs and stories, but they were mostly just copying it seems. They can barely write coherent sentences and many of their letters are reversed. I was thinking of just beginning at the writing words and sentence level, but I am worried they will grow so far behind the other 2 and 3rd graders. Any suggestions or programs you can recommend? Thank you!

Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For K-2 students that need phonics work I recommend Reading Mastery. For grade 3 and up I recommend Corrective Reading. In writing I would recommend Language for Writing or Expressive Writing 1 or 2. All of these programs have free online placement tests so you can see what level your student would place in, BEFORE you purchase.
misscurlyj is offline   Reply With Quote