Help

Fourth Grade

Guided Reading

>

norbert20

Guided Reading
Old 09-18-2017, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am at a new school this year where we focus more on guided reading than book clubs. I am used to meeting with a group, giving them a section to read and comprehension questions to complete. We then meet the next day to discuss the pages they read and answer the comprehension questions they completed for homework. I usually add in vocabulary as well.
This school seems to have a heavy focus on word study. So I need to incorporate that in as well. I normally did vocabulary for higher level students not phonics work. My question is what does your guided reading lesson look like for each level of your groups. How do you structure the plan for each meeting?

norbert20 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Guided Reading
Old 09-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught genres to the whole class. That way all my students had something in common as the reading groups met and enjoyed different books. For example when we read fantasy my low group read The Littles (series), my middle group read Fantastic Mr. Fox and my high group read Top Secret by John Reynolds Gardner. I tried to always find books they would enjoy.

My low students worked with me for about 25 minutes daily. The middle group about 20 minutes and the high group about 15 minutes. The lower group worked on who are the main characters, what is the plot, what is the conflict, how do we know this is a fantasy..... The higher groups got higher level questions.

Most days we started by discussing what the reading assignment was the day before. I wanted to make sure everyone understood what was going on. I almost always started the next chapter during group time together and read aloud some each day to work on read aloud fluency. Then they completed the chapter or assigned pages on their own.

I used more graphic organizers and reading response assignments that a list of comprehension questions to check understanding. I often gave them just one thinking/reflective type question to answer. This was after much modeling of how to answer an essay type of question and how to include evidence from the book.I did not assign written work every day as I wanted the focus to be on reading and thinking during this time rather that writing.

We focused on different reading comprehension strategies. Sometimes it was making connections. Other times it might be sequencing, character development, prior knowledge, questioning, visualization, inferring, summarizing......

Sometimes I would read aloud to the whole class from the same genre. It would be a picture book. Then we would compare and contrast the read aloud selection to their novel during group. I also did this with poetry at times if I felt there was a connection.

Mostly I just tried to make reading enjoyable so they would want to become better readers and readers for life.

I hope I said something helpful.

This website may be helpful.

http://reading.ecb.org/teacher/index.html
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote