Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbing/mentoring

>

spedder1

Subbing/mentoring
Old 09-21-2017, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I spent today in a self-contained special ed classroom at the request of the AP of special education for that particular building. The teacher is in her 3rd year in that building, but has been teaching for much longer. She has 6 students total, but one was absent. Then one went home early due to the ac not working and the child getting really hot and cranky (mom's decision, not the teacher's). One child is in a wheelchair and the others are not. The teacher had a picture schedule up for the children to follow. The classroom was set up nicely with different work areas. She has two paraprofessionals. Well, the picture schedule was cute, but she took quite a bit of freedom with what the activities actually were. There is a district curriculum. She did do one worksheet. She did nothing on the Smartboard with the kids. They aren't allowed to touch it because they might break it. I told her I had one kid bang his head full force into mine on purpose and the only thing that happened was to raise a lump on his forehead. Then, the kids ate breakfast and lunch in the classroom. I'm used to children in self-contained classrooms eating in the lunchroom. I didn't get a chance to talk with the teacher next door to see if she took her kids to the lunch room. The paras seemed okay, just a bit lost. I was, too, because the picture schedule wasn't specific enough. Then there was the para who bribed a student to go to the bathroom, promising him an iPad when he got back. The iPads were not available. He had a meltdown. The teacher did ask the para about it. She was honest, but said that he had forgotten about it. I felt horrible because I'm the one who helped her find the iPad picture to show him. Anyway, I need to write it all up tonight and email it to the AP. Tomorrow I'm going to another school to do the same thing, though I'm subbing in the classroom first, then observing the students and mentoring the teacher in the afternoon. Oh, and my old AP of Special Ed, who is also at the school where I'm going tomorrow, told me there is a possible long term sub job open, but wouldn't tell me where. There is only one classroom I would take over in the district and it's my old classroom. It's not an opening yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. The teacher has no clue.
Kathy

spedder1 is online now   Reply With Quote