Frustrated, but trying to stay positive. I could use some encouragement/advice. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Frustrated, but trying to stay positive. I could use some encouragement/advice.

>

MissELA

Frustrated, but trying to stay positive. I could use some encouragement/advice.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So another disappointing application season has come to a close. I had a few interviews this summer, some making it to the second round, but in the end I didn't receive a single job offer. Last year was disappointing as well. I'm still keeping my eyes open for jobs and just applied for one today, but I'm not that hopeful.

I was a daily sub last year in one district, but I have moved to a different district as a building sub with a bit more pay and at least guaranteed work each school day. So far I'm liking the environment, but I can't help but to feel bad about myself. I've been getting acquainted with the teachers and began chatting with one who had been a building sub for 6 years before landing a job at this particular school.

I shouldn't do this but I can't help but compare myself to the cohort I graduated with and the one below me. Almost everyone but myself and another peer have found a full time teaching position. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. While I'm happy for my peers I can't help but feel jealous of their first day of school posts on social media who found jobs rather quickly after graduation.

Trying to stay positive. I want to do well at this school and I'm trying to build positive relationships with the staff and the P. Hopefully I will know of open positions in the district much more quickly than before.

MissELA is offline   Reply With Quote

nstafins

Old 08-31-2017, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in the exact same boat so I know exactly how you feel! This should be my third year, but I've had such bad luck finding a job. My first year I was hired two days before school as a 5th grade ELA teacher-- only to be laid off at the end of the year. The only job I was able to find last year was a part-time Title I reading position. The school didn't have enough funds to keep my position at the end of the year so all summer I've been applying and applying. Didn't have a single teacher interview, but there weren't that many classroom spots.

Now I'm stuck in a library/aide position where I'm being totally taken advantage of. Like you, most of my classmates have had the same full-time teaching job since graduation. It's disheartening to have a college degree, but be unable to find a good job while everyone else around you gets ahead. I'm still looking for something else and have applied for a few long-term sub positions but am really not that hopeful.

I'm sorry I don't have any better advice, I just wanted to let you know you're not alone!
nstafins is offline   Reply With Quote

nstafins

Old 09-01-2017, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wrong thread! Dope!
nstafins is offline   Reply With Quote

Testyteach

Clip to ScrapBook #4

May I ask where you are located? I would think that there would be plenty of teacher position openings from where I'm located in GA. I taught and lived out West also for a few years and I know for certain there is a job shortage in Las Vegas. I think it depends on what part of the country you live in and I've always heard that it's hard to get a position in the New England States.
Testyteach is offline   Reply With Quote