Help

Special Education

Creating a new IEP for transfer student

>

Teachercat2

Creating a new IEP for transfer student
Old 09-24-2017, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello... I was wondering if someone here could explain how I go about creating a new IEP for a transfer student who moved in from another district. I have only seen him about 3 times and the meeting for the new IEP is this week. The IEP that I have been given (from the previous school district) has expired and so I'm not sure how I am creating new goals for a student I've only just met? In addition, a lot of the testing information and progress information is outdated.. how can I accurately fill this in to create a new IEP for this week... I just met him! Help! Thanks!

Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

Old 09-24-2017, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi...I am involved with a very similar situation.....I quickly gave the student the grade level reading and math placement tests....also she is in 2nd grade so I also administered PALS...at least I have some academic info before her meeting...I have only worked with her for 1 week and her IEP meeting is tomorrow...I am sure her 2nd grade teacher will bring behavior info to meeting�� and hopefully we can put an IEP together that will support the student in her learning as she tested low in both reading and math...also has lots of behavior issues...that's my situation....
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

Thanks
Old 09-24-2017, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you required to bring a draft IEP to your meeting? I think I am.. so it's not really like I can create goals with the team I guess? They need to already be written apparently? In my old district the sped team leader would handle all of this paper work and I would be required to just do the goals...

Lottalove

What I do sometimes with short notice
Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

is like the PP with some baseline data collection-a reading inventory, a math placement test if possible and so on. Then in the Present levels section about changes since previous IEP. I might put some like "As this is a transfer IEP, insufficient data exists to address potential changes since the previous IEP." Then I might put stuff I've read or heard as long as I source it... "Per parent report, Susie has ___." Or, "As stated in the records, Billy's grades upon leaving Madison elementary were: Math-..."

Then, for goals, they might be less specific than usual, in at least the draft, to account for any unknowns. Look at his disability category, the previous goals and the progress notes as to whether he accomplished them. Look at the Classes and grades transferred in, and look at your baseline info.

Remember too that IEPs have to happen at least annually but can happen more often. Write it with what you know now and set the goals accordingly. Then in a few months, if he needs to have the goals reassessed in several areas, you (or the parent) can request another meeting to either do another IEP or amend the transfer IEP.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-24-2017, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are you sure you're allowed to just hold an annual? Here, if we get an expired IEP it's not longer valid and we have to redo the whole thing- sign permission and test for an initial. We can't just do an annual on an expired IEP. I know every state seems to do things differently, but if I were you I'd double check!

If you are allowed to do an annual, I've been in the situation of having to an annual for a kid I don't know many times...we have a transient population and this happens to me at least a couple of times every year! I just get in as many assessments as I can to base the present levels and goals off of. If the student has been spending time in gen ed, you can also get information from that teacher. I also just explain to the parent that since I haven't had much time to get to know the student, we may find out later that changes need to be made to the IEP and that can be done through an amendment.

As far as the draft IEP, yes, we are expected to pretty much come to a meeting with a completed IEP. We're supposed to ask gen ed teachers for information prior to the IEP meeting. The only thing we add in/change as the meeting goes on is parent input. We're required to give the parent a finalized copy of the IEP at the end of the meeting, so that's pretty much impossible to do unless you come to the meeting with the IEP mostly finished.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

I agree
Old 09-24-2017, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I said to others that I thought we needed to have new testing done since this IEP is a year old. But not much seems to get done correctly in this district..
weekend now

weekend now

Old 09-24-2017, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In my district I would have to do a new evaluation if the old one is outdated. Possibly even a new initial, not just a reevaluation. I can only do teacher based or district wide assessments before an IEP, anything else I need parental permission and an evaluation consent for.And I can not do a stand alone assessment, I would have to do a full assessment.
I do not write any goals or objective before the IEP meeting as those are considered a team decision and the team has to meet first. I do have suggestions in mind however.
Fo sure email with a due process facilitator in the district first to be sure what you are supposed to do. Because if it turns out later that you are in due process violation, it does not matter what anyone told you, it will be your fault.

Teachercat2

Ok..
Old 09-24-2017, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am quite confused about this whole process. No one is planning on any testing... but I was told to type his expired IEP into our system and we would have a meeting about it. I'm not even sure what is taking place at this meeting!
I retyped all his old goals into our system, but should I have new goals prepared?? I don't even know him.. and with my class I do not even have time before the meeting to give him any testing. I am already really frustrated with this position and it's my third week...

momteachsis

In my district
Old 09-24-2017, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We hold an IEP meeting and usually just accept the old IEP. Then we meet again in a few weeks to develop a new IEP. This gives us time to get to know the student and do some assessments.
Maybe that is what's going on.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

I hope!!
Old 09-24-2017, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I really hope this is the case!!

Tounces

Iep
Old 09-25-2017, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm no help here just wanted to let you know that I'm really confused in my new school too. They seem to keep changing their mind on what we are to do, who is responsible for what parts and how to do things. But they think they are being clear. I need things organized and clear so I can plan. I hope you figure out what they want soon. I have an IEP meeting coming up and I'm not sure why because she already has one. But I'm supposed to type in the purpose even though I didn't set the meeting. I'm losing it!
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

It went ok!
Old 09-26-2017, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks for the input everybody! I don't know that what was done was the right thing we basically just had an annual review even though we don't know the student! Their biggest concern just seems to be lightening the classroom teachers laid! Oh well..