Help

Substitute Teachers

Modern Classroom Management

>

KatrynG

Modern Classroom Management
Old 09-23-2017, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just found videos from another classroom management person: Rick Morris.

I haven't watched them all, but the three I have watched make a lot of sense. And make me think about the differences between Old School Behavior Management and the new behavior of students, today.

I've watched:

The Freedom List
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzSPoi4yISk

The Magnetic Number Tiles
https://youtu.be/6U7ZXfgxLKw

A Better Classroom Culture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7wsSSDPQJI

I want to share what I have learned with students and make it easier for them to learn in a safe positive classroom. But how do I do that if the students aren't listening?

Rick Morris strategies make sense, and cause me to pause in using prompting to try to reach students to do the 'right' thing in the classroom. I remember the 'good old days' when students would listen respectfully to teachers.

Have any of you used Morris' strategies in the classroom? Did they work for you?

KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

thecoast

Saw the Freedom List
Old 09-23-2017, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and I'm sold! If this one video is any indication of the rest, I'm going to recommend it everywhere I go. But since I only saw one video, then that's the one I want to comment on for now. I've been subbing for a few days as a special ed aide or inclusion SRP teacher. And I've seen masters of classroom management, and I've also seen those who are not. I like how he explains the neurology of what he does and how the students respond. Brilliant stuff. Simple stuff. I'm going to watch his other videos. Thanks, @KatrynG, for bringing these to the attention of the forum.
thecoast is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-25-2017, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank your for sharing. I have been having a hard time with classroom management. The dynamics.of our student population has become so much more needy and classroom behavior is reflecting that.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

He's Good!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I watched a lot of Rick Morris videos, last night... he's good! I subbed today in a class that I wished he had been in to see how he who have responded. I had an openly defiant young lady who ran around the room touching everything to disrupt class and she did!

The teacher was there when I got there and said she had to talk to several students from the class for behaving badly with the substitute, last week. Uh-oh...that was a warning and I didn't know it! Later in the afternoon, the young lady started an avalanche of havoc! The teacher across the hallway said they don't know what to do with her... the plans have failed... this early in the school year?! ... the office came and got her (I got the class back on track) and then brought her back! (the class went off track again)!!!!!!

I need a cup of tea and a student counselor to talk with! Time to watch some more videos and see if Smart Classroom Management has this situation in its archives.

I can't wait to go back to that school and talk with that teacher.
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

thecoast

Morris gave the impression
Old 09-25-2017, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

that he needed to let kids get used to him and that changes took time to implement. So probably his techniques are only possible in long-term subbing. But let me tell you, I sure wish I could just give the teachers I saw having management issues a link or a DVD with Rick Morris' stuff.

thecoast is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 09-26-2017, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

After the day I had yesterday, I'm watching some of these to see what ideas I may be able to implement as a day to day sub. Thank you for posting the links.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote