Question about Fountas and Pinnell colors... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Question about Fountas and Pinnell colors...

>

crystalina

Question about Fountas and Pinnell colors...
Old 09-24-2017, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I'm teaching a multi-grade resource room, where my students are anywhere from grades 3-6, but most are functioning at a K-2 level.

We use F&P at my school, and my kids have been tested anywhere from A-P.

I'm confused because when I looked at the F&P boxes at my school, there was level ''A'' in various boxes (orange, green, blue, red).

How do I know which color boxes to use for kids ranging from A-P?

Thank you!

crystalina is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-24-2017, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you referring to LLI (Leveled Literacy Intervention), by chance? I know that's an F&P program that comes in orange, green, blue, and red kits. If so, the level of the book is still the same no matter what color it is.

If I'm remembering correctly, orange is meant for K, green is 1st, blue is 2nd, and red is 3rd, but there is a wide range of book levels within each kit because obviously you'll have a wide range of skill levels within one grade. If you follow the LLI lessons (I honestly don't recommend- they're not very good), they would have you sometimes teach skills with books below the child's level and sometimes teach skills with books above the child's level. If you're just using the books for your own lessons, just look at the letter for what level it is and ignore the color.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Leveled Literacy Intervention
Old 09-25-2017, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you are referring to Leveled Literacy Intervention, I can help you. My district uses this program for RtI/tier 2 intervention.

My district has the orange level which begins at level A and ends at level E (I think). The red level begins at level L and ends at level Q. The blue and green levels begin at level B (maybe level C) and end at level N. The color does not correspond to a grade level.

Each of the different colors has a variety of levels. If you check the cover of the teacher's manuals, you will find which levels are included in each color. You can also check the back cover of each book to find the reading level. At level J green, the books will be leveled J, H, J, H, J, H, etc. One book is at the child's reading level, the next book is two levels below the child's reading level so that your can concentrate on fluency, the next book is at the child's reading level, and the next book is two levels below the child's reading level, etc.

I use all the level J green books and then the level J blue books. Green seems a little easier than blue. If the child needs more level J books after these twenty lessons (10 lessons at level J and ten lessons at level H), my district uses trade books.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

Grade levels
Old 09-25-2017, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My school has them set up by grade level.. I believe the orange kit is grade K, the green is grade 1, and the blue is grade 2. Not to steal your question but does anyone use LLI as a tier 3 reading program? This is all my school has for materials for those reading below grade level.. no phonics or intervention programs.. it says it's more for tier 2.. I am wondering if I use this if it will be effective? In the past I've only ever used specialized phonics programs.
Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

crystalina

Thank you!
Old 09-26-2017, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, I am referring to the LLI books.

So if my kids are struggling below grade level and reading between A-P, should I mostly focus on using the orange and green boxes?

crystalina is offline   Reply With Quote