Help

Third Grade

What to Do With All Around Poor Test Scores

>

CptVanHook

What to Do With All Around Poor Test Scores
Old 09-07-2017, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching a unit in my science class for several weeks now, and I decided to give the same assessment that the other science teachers in the 3rd grade gave. I gave the test today, as some of the other teachers did. However, the results were way below what I wanted.

I know, based upon the classwork they have done as a group and as individuals, as well as the questioning I have done in my room, that most of these children know the concepts that were covered in this lesson well. However, they did not score well at all on the multiple choice questions that were given. In my three classes, only one group performed in a way that seemed to show what they understand.

There are many reasons that these scores could be different. We did benchmark testing last week, so the kids are tired of testing. This is also a strange event week for us. I was hesitant to test, but I chose to and now I have these tests that I don't believe are accurate. Some of my kids scored very well, but overall it's not been a good situation.

The moral of the story is, I tested, most of my kids did not pass, and I do not believe the results show what they understand. Progress reports go home Monday, and I would hate for their scores to be lowered because of this test. Many of the kids missed the same question, so I feel like some of this is on me for not teaching it in a way that would help them understand. I don't particularly agree with these tests as being a meaningful measure of understanding, but I don't know what to do now that I have them. Do I enter them in our system anyways, even if it could be my teaching & the time of testing? Do I retest? Do I throw them out and start again? Help!

CptVanHook is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Too much testing
Old 09-08-2017, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You're right to be concerned about the amount of testing. These are still babies yet since k ,at least in our district, they are subjected to lengthy tests throughout the year.

You could put together small groups. Give each group a single copy of the test, no pencils allowed, so they can discuss the questions. You might want to let them know which questions gave the class the most problems. Ask the groups to discuss why those questions "tricked" so many in the class. Let them know that after they have helped each other they will retake the test on their own. Hopefully you will have better results.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

sailorsue

Kahoot
Old 09-09-2017, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year I started practice testing for Science using the Kahoot website - I type each multiple choice test question into the program exactly the way it is worded on the test. I type in the test choices IN A DIFFERENT ORDER and kids answer each question using an Ipad and the Kahoot App. Do the first chapter on your smart board and skip the Ipads.

We discuss each question and talk about WHAT is being asked. We talk about each multiple choice option and why many of them are wrong.

These little ones don't yet have the SKILL of eliminating options when given multiple choice - yet my Science series gives ridiculously long questions and 4 choices for every question.

You'll be amazed how well they develop their ability to decode these mystery questions as the year progresses.

This year I am moving to PLICKERS - also a great option but you have to invest a little time/money to get a set of the cards.
sailorsue is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Choices
Old 09-09-2017, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sailorsue's great tips reminded me of another test taking strategy. When you go over the choices ask them "slash the trash". Usually one or two choices are easily eliminated and it's fun to "slash the trash."
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrfeature

Happened to me
Old 09-26-2017, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I decided to read the test to them at this early point in the year. I thought the cognitive load of both complex reading and science concepts was throwing some kids off. Yep it was. So I read the long hairy social studies test also. I did this until Christmas, when the lowbies came closer to grade level reading. My third grade scored highest in the district on year end test. They read that one to themselves.

tchrfeature is online now   Reply With Quote