Reference letter: teacher, assistant principal or principal? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Reference letter: teacher, assistant principal or principal?

>

guest92617

guest92617

Reference letter: teacher, assistant principal or principal?
Old 09-26-2017, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a teacher hopeful struggling with who to ask for reference letters. I held a full year position as an intern in a first grade classroom two years ago, and subbed in the same classroom for a few weeks last year.
I have an incredible relationship with my cooperating teacher and always list her as a reference. However, as I'm filling out job applications, I've started to wonder if I should also be listing the principal and/or assistant principal as references. I didn't interact much with the principal, but she's really nice and would probably write a letter if I asked. I interacted pretty frequently with the assistant principal, but we weren't as close as I still am with my cooperating teacher.
My questions are : 1) Does it look better if my recommendation comes from someone in a higher position or someone I worked more closely with? and 2) If a job asks for 3 recommendations does it look bad if 2 come from the same former position?

I'm pretty sure I'm WAY over thinking this, but figured some outside input couldn't hurt...

flutetoot

Old 09-26-2017, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have had schools specifically ask for a letter from an administrator. If you can get one that is always helpful
flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-26-2017, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree that it's great to get a letter from an administrator. I would ask the administrator (P or AP) who would best be able to speak to your skills in the classroom. A mediocre or super general recommendation letter doesn't speak highly of you, so I'd probably pick the AP if you think that person could speak more to your individual skills and would praise them.

As to your second question, it isn't bad at all if 2 are from the same school. Many people have spent most of their career in one school before moving, and so most (if not all) recommendations would come from the same location. It doesn't sound like you have a ton of experience teaching, so you have to get your recommendation letters where you can get them!

Good luck!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 09-26-2017, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had one letter from a colleague that was very detailed because we worked closely, and I had one from my principal that was more general because he knew me but not as well (didn't ever observe ).

I think both would be best because most places do want a supervisor reference, but you also want someone who can speak to your specific strengths.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote