Help

Third Grade

Card System

>

Bella

Card System
Old 09-09-2017, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wondering if anyone uses a color coded card system for classroom management, and if it is effective? Yellow = warning , Orange = consequence , Red = Phone call home. I have a couple students who I feel may constantly be in the red, so I'm not certain on the effectiveness of this system. Would love hear others thoughts.

Bella is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

First Grade System
Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I subbed in a first grade classroom where this system was being used. The student teacher in the room said they hadn't been getting many responses from parents.

I suggested that we make a slight change to it to see its effectiveness in the classroom that day. She told the students that they would be carded from the first hour until lunch. If they received a compliment from another teacher she would mitigate their color to a better one. It was effective.

After lunch we moved everyone's cards back to neutral... to give them a SECOND chance to improve. We told them to take a deep breath and let's get back on track. She would warn them about something and as the second warning change or have them change their color card.

At the end of the day, she had students get their Homework folders and circle the color of the card system. Some were upset at the color they had to circle to show their behavior.
And even if the parents don't respond, the students were responding appropriately, and she has documentation for behavior issues, daily.

The student teacher said she would start taking notice of those who were behaving well and those who were not to help the regular teacher. For those who were behaving appropriately or well she had other things to recognize them.
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrfeature

Yes. I loved my system
Old 09-26-2017, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Never wrote a referral or sent the kids to office in 10 plus years. Kids flipped card for breaking rules, had opportunity to flip back if behavior changed (my call) then every day they colored in their color on their calendar so parents could monitor. Purple- above and beyond, green- all good, yellow- oops, red needs improvement. I was very strict at the beginning, but hardly needed to use it once the kids understood the rules/regs. Usually vast majority had purple months and got choice time or some privilege.
tchrfeature is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Changed from cards to clip chart
Old 09-27-2017, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used the card system for a few years. I didn't like that it was only negative. I changed to the clip chart system after reading about it on Rick Morris' site. I love it! The kids can earn clip downs and ups. Also, I give the whole class a clip up if they are complimented by another adult (without solicitation), lined up quietly waiting for me to finish recess duty, etc. At the end of the day, kids color a calendar with the color they ended on. Parents initial each day. Easy way to communicate with parents.
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 09-27-2017, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know a lot of people that are not fans. However, some class make ups need them. There are some kids that need that visual to help them remember to make good choices. When I've had to use them, there have been kids that just by making eye contact and then averting my gaze to the chart to remind them that they were already on a warning would stop the behavior. Two pieces of advice:

1. Work out how to let a child know quietly and privately that they need to change their card or clip. No one wants to have their name yelled across the room to go change their card. It's humiliating.

2. Work out a system for labeling the cards/clips. Be it assigning each child a number or letter or symbol. You don't want everyone walking into your room to know that Johnny is on red again. No one wants their head on a pike in the public square. It's between you and kid. I know one teacher that put little charts on each child's desk to really keep it private. Another teacher used something similar to blurt beans. Each child started the day with 3 beans with the chance to earn a fourth. Each infraction cost a bean. The number they had left was written in the home folder each day. 4- great day, really knocked it out of the park 3- good day, on task, followed directions, no issues 2- warning 1-parent contact 0-consequences.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote