Help

Fourth Grade

Fast finishers

>

fahajj

Fast finishers
Old 09-24-2017, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any idea what to do with fast finishers in math? I have some that are advanced and have been giving them harder problems or teaching them a more difficult concept but some constantly want approval. Others just slap something down on work to turn it in. Right now games are off limits until they can correctly use the materials and put them away. I don't want to waste paper on enrichment worksheets. I have seen the idea of math on my own folders but they are a lot of wasted paper and I feel like I have to make one for all my students, even those that will never finish work, for those days when I have a meeting and need easy coverage. Help!!!!!!!

fahajj is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Fast finishers
Old 09-25-2017, 02:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have them create story problems and solve with at least 3 ,different ways. This can be ongoing all year long. An added incentive is to actually use the best ones on quizzes!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Suggestions

Suggestions

Math Enrichment
Old 09-28-2017, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you have iPads in your classroom, why not let early finishers practice their skills using the Counting Money app, Mathlandia, Mathignition or Monster Math. You can print up a record sheet for students to keep track of Extra Credit work completed on the iPads (kept in their binders of course) - no incentives needed. The only problem is you may soon have a whole class of early finishers!

Gromit

Old 09-28-2017, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I insist that everyone work for a specific amount of time that the average student would take to complete the task. If they finish in advance, they improve their answer -- doublecheck work, work backward, write neater, explain their thinking, turn it into a word problem, write it a different way, etc. It slows down the ones who are working just to get done because they don't get to be "done" and it develops different skills for the ones who finished fast because they are actually fast.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

dianemcq

math work
Old 09-28-2017, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do you have laptops? You can create assignments on Tenmarks or let them play on the Prodigy or Sumdog websites. My students love Prodigy and Sumdog and the Tenmarks assignments can also double as grades (sometimes...they can be too difficult).

Another idea is to have them start to create a Google slide presentation on something related to your current unit. They could even research famous mathematicians to include. If you're studying geometry, find pics of geometry in nature, buildings, clothing etc. They could show their presentations to the class if there's some extra time on a Friday.

dianemcq is offline   Reply With Quote