Help

Kindergarten

name games/activities needed

>

Sbkangas5

name games/activities needed
Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are starting our ELD groups next week, and I have the low English speakers this year. Half of the group still can't write, spell, or sometimes even recognize their name. I'm hoping you all have some fun name games, songs or activities I can use. We will only have 15 minutes or so, so I don't want anything involving too much prep. I already have a variety of name worksheets for them to practice writing and spelling their names in a variety of ways.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 09-30-2017, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There is an iPad app called Write My Name. When you add the students' names, you can add audio. i.e. I type in a student's name. Then I say the student's name. Students click on their name. They trace the letters in their name. After they trace the letter, it says the name of the letter. After they have done their whole name, it plays the recording where I said the name. Students can also trace individual uppercase/lowercase letters or words on that app.

I prepare a sheet that goes inside a plastic sheet protector. At the top it has the student's first name with a dot underneath each letter. The student reads his/her name with me and then tells the name of each letter while touching each dot. We do this 2x.)

In the next section, the student builds his/her name. (I have letter cards cut out, foam letters, magnetic letters and letter tiles for variety, but only use one at a time.) It is just the letters in the student's name. We shake and dump on table. Then the student puts the letters in the correct order to build his/her name. I cover the name at the top of the sheet and then uncover for student to check what he built. You could leave it uncovered for student to use as support if needed. (We do this 3x.)

In the third section, there is a dotted line name on colored guidelines with highlighted space between midline and baseline.(I used to be able to have the dotted line letters go over the highlight space, but now I can get it to work on my new laptop so I just use a highlighter to color in the space.) I have the student use dry erase marker on the sheet protector to trace the letters. We say the name of the letters as the student traces each letter and then say the student's name when the tracing is done.

In the bottom section, the student tries to write his/her name on his/her own using a dry erase marker.

I attached a copy of the sheet.

Other activities:

-I have name cards made and we do different sorts. i.e. Names That Start With __/Names That Don't Start With ___. Names That Have Letter ___/Names That Don't Have Letter _____

-We make class books where each student does a page and writes or traces name and draws picture of self. i.e. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Look Who Is in Our Classroom. Teacher, Teacher, Who Do You See? (After reading Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?

-We make name bracelets using alphabet beads on pipe cleaners.
-We stamp our names on paper. (stamps/stamp pads)
-We stamp our names in play-doh. (letter stampers/play-doh)

Old standbys- Who Stole the Cookie from the Cookie Jar? Willoughby, Wallaby Woo (Name Game), Hicklety Picklety Bumblebee, and clapping names (syllables).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sample First Name-Read Build Trace and Write.pdf (306.5 KB, 16 views)
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote