Substitute Teachers

Substitute Banned from School

>

Miss J.

Miss J.

Substitute Banned from School
Old 09-20-2017, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just received an unsatisfactory email that stated a school would no longer have me as a substitute. The reasons for this were: Yelled at students and refused to help students with class work. Various complaints by students of me being mean. Sending numerous students to the office. Yelling at the students in which the principal witnesses. Sent a negative text to the teacher.

Upon seeing this email I immediately called my human resource rep to respond to the email because no one wants to get banned from a school, especially when its unwarranted. I told my rep I did not send any students to the office for bad behavior. I told her I did have one incident in the classroom with a student, but that I had called the office and asked what the school policy was on how to handle difficult students. I was told the principal would come to the class. The principal came to the classroom and I explained the situation. The principal handled the situation right outside the classroom and sent the student back in. That was it.

I told hr I would never refuse to help a student. On that day as a class we read a story, and then students were to answer questions in regards to the story. The questions even indicated what page number to find the answer. However, many students struggled with finding the answers or understanding the question. For those students I pointed exactly what line to find the answer and what to look for. And in this case the sentence I was pointing to was the answer. Beyond what I was doing I don't know what else I could have done.

The principal states she saw me yell at the students. Did this happen? Yes, I had the students lined up outside of the classroom because we were going to an assembly. My students were all over the place: talking, spinning around the hallway poles, being loud and not listening. So, I yelled "class class" to which the students are to reply "yes yes". But I had to yell because my normal voice level was not cutting it. As a substitute often times I experience, that even the best classroom will try and push boundaries. And on this day that's exactly what my class was doing. By talking while I talked. Students wanting to do their own thing.

Lastly, I addressed the text situation. On this day the substitute left behind their cell number. At the end of the day I texted the teacher to ask where I could put book orders(the students parents sent cash, so I wanted to make sure the money would not go missing). The teacher answered my text and followed up by asking how my day went. By the time I saw here text I realized I had taken my end of the day report home. So I quickly typed it out and sent it via text.

So I tell my hr rep all this and she tells me, "well we have to back the school. It's their word against yours." So I asked if the teacher, principal and I could have a meeting? My reasoning behind this was to ask to see the office referral slips of the supposed students I sent to the office. I thought that if I could prove that was not true, that perhaps hr would realize what a mistake this entire thing is. Unfortunately, I was told no. The report was already made and that's that.

So, now I'm stuck with being banned from this one school all for something that is largely over blown out of proportion. I mean this school district has lots of schools, but still I'm upset that I did not even get a chance to refute this evaluation. I'm mostly hurt because I take my job very seriously and care about all students and their education, but now my reputation does not portray this.

Subtastic

Old 09-20-2017, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To the school you probably looked incompetent. Do not get the office involved unless it's an emergency. If a class is noisy in the halls , I don't sweat it; if it's ms or hs, they're going to talk. I've realized that once they get to the assembly they'll shut up because of teacher and peer pressure. I think admins could have been more understanding, but schools can do what they like and we are all expendable. I believe what you say, and trust me, the same thing happened to me, just different allegations, that I was sleeping, that I was mean, that I made students clean up, that I made students "uncomfortable." Just realize that once you are banned, it's near impossible to get reinstated. Some schools are just not a good fit; there is something "off about them." Just focus on doing a good job at your next school. I would adopt a stern voice rather than resort to yelling and try not to get the office involved unless a student is a danger to others. Get them engaged with a warm-up. I tell funny/spooky stories about origins of terms/words. Then move into the lesson. There will always be some who challenge you, but if you have the bulk of the class with you then don't sweat it.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 09-20-2017, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You've learned a valuable lesson; substitutes are judged on how quiet the class is and how straight is the line.

I would move on from this and do nothing more. I've been wrongly accused of things (stealing book order money - student found it in their locker - tee hee, so sorry) that weren't true (calling a student fat when I had no idea who the student even was.) Even if you were able to get them to change their minds would you even want to work there?

I am reminded of something that a principal said to me once; "he (the student) needs to be here, you (the substitute) don't have to be here, you could work anywhere."
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

sila

Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Please don't worry .
It is not your mistake .please move on rather than trying to correct them.No reason they need to ban subs.That is the hardest part in this job though for outsiders,it looks like an easy baby sitting .Any sort of allegations can come .Please focus in other schools .Dont spend time to follow up this school .Be extra careful because it is different situations each day .
sila is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If it will make you feel any better, I have been doing this for over 20 years, and I have been banned from SEVEN schools, and for four of them I have no reason why.

Furthermore, the new sub tech last year told me that the reasons were old, and that she was not at liberty to tell me why.

She said that to get reinstated, I would need to e-mail the Principals.

I did this once and got no response.

None of the Principals even know who I am, so there is no reason for them to take the time or chance to reinstate me.

Of the three schools where I know the reasons, 80 -90% of the reasons are not my fault.

For the other four schools, I had only great experiences at all of them, so the reasons are a mystery.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Ota

Old 09-25-2017, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You want to go back??? Why? Some school years I will not go back to a school due to poor/weak administrators. Talk to other subs and you may just find that a lot of others do not go to that school. Or maybe it is that teacher?

It is only one school. Use that day to reflect and grow. There are some schools that have teachers that know how to handle difficult classrooms. Talk to those people and see if they'll share some ideas with you.

One of my favorite shares came from a teacher at a middle school. She shared how to line them back up outside when they refuse to cooperate. Once outside you give them instructions as to what you expect from them. While standing at the open classroom door, slowly let them in as you show them you are checking for cooperation. Not cooperating once in, back out that student goes. Those who again refuse to cooperate do not get to go in yet. I had an administrator ask me one time as to what was going on. While still standing at the door with the remaining few uncooperative students outside, I calmly shared that those students were still working on getting ready for the classroom. If looks could kill then all of those students still outside would have been dead. My message to that teacher for that day was simple: class was not ready to learn.
Ota is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Wow.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm sorry to hear that. I would let it be, especially if you're not getting a positive response from HR or the school. Yes, I would take that badly, too, but there's at least enough schools and districts around to keep you busy.

I used To perform on stage so I project my voice very well. So that means I basically am always using my theater voice or my teacher voice. I am also loud by nature because I'm the youngest of six children. I am sure that many students or teachers have misstook my teacher voice for yelling. Luckily for me that has not come to bite me in the butt. Knock on wood.

A friend was banned at two middle schools in my district for insubordination. Yes, insubordination. If the school secretary decided to change or switch her Sub job, she'd argue. We are at the mercy of the school. While I hate being switched from, let's say, English to math, I know that it happens. To stand in the office and be confrontational is ridiculous.

Chalk it up to a learning experience.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Learning Experience
Old 10-04-2017, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
"I am reminded of something that a principal said to me once; "he (the student) needs to be here, you (the substitute) don't have to be here, you could work anywhere."
I like that Subman said this. Last week, I had a bad experience with one student... I met the teacher and like the teacher, but I'm choosing not to sub for her again because of that student. 'One bad apple can spoil the whole barrel' and affect the rest of the class. That student needs to be in that class;I don't.

I worked in classes in which I was warned ahead of time that the students had various issues/plans; and I've been asked by the teachers and associate teachers to come back because I was the only sub who could 'handle' them. It's so helpful when a sub has support in schools.

I've learned to leave messages and/or text teachers about their classes... and all the teachers are different. Different in their responses, but if they like you they will keep you busy!

Cultivate your teacher relationships in the other schools, and hang in there.
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

buttering up
Old 10-04-2017, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hah! I like it when they use this line to butter you up
Quote:
was the only sub who could 'handle' them. It's so helpful when a sub has support in schools
Translation: you're the only one that can put up with the nonsense so the job's yours! ! Seriously, it depends on how you see it and it's best to be on the side of caution.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote