Help

Fourth Grade

meaningful centers

>

prestolj

meaningful centers
Old 09-30-2017, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a seasoned teacher who has never really found meaningful centers...I have always had issues with kids who weren't done when it's time to switch or kids who are done and want to move along. I never mastered the time limit aspect since each small group takes a different amount of time to work with. I always have my eagle eye on the kids who I know are trying to "look" like they are working but then I find I am not fully engaged in my small group. I hate worksheets and busy work. I guess what I am asking is if anyone can just list activities that students really get into that are meaningful that don't require me standing at the copy machine for hours and taking home tons of homework? I think I am not going about it correctly and I always give it up after a week or so. I have had some success with what I call a taskboard. I have a list of 4-5 activities on the board that they do in any order. They have the class period to finish. I would like ideas of great, engaging practice or challenge activities that make them excited and want to get started.

I do have ipads. I want them to really push and challenge themselves. What are some things you have found that your students really enjoy?

prestolj is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Meaningful Centers
Old 09-30-2017, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know exactly how you feel about meaningful centers.

I finally gave up...then I discovered Daily 5. I felt it had the most meaningful literacy activities...read to self, read with a partner, write about reading, word work, and listen to reading. The book and website are easy to use, and really help the classroom teacher with implementation. It also fits well with any reading program.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 10-02-2017, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What subject(s) do you teach, or are you self-contained?

My go to intermediate ELA centers are:
  • Independent Reading
  • Technology (Scootpad; Mobymax; ABCya; IXL)
  • Word Study (a choice menu because it's pretty low prep)

I've also done a comprehension station, where they answered question about a text.

You can do some freewriting or journaling.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

Cycle through Standards
Old 10-07-2017, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have found that Word Work works best when I have taught a few standard activities that I cycle the kids through. I rotate the words and the students know how to do the activity. Word maps, white boards for sentence writing, reading responses in notebooks, letter writing, or even a worksheet for grammar.
The reading centers also have a standard protocol that we practice for a while so that the students can easily do what's expected. The steps are simple so the students are right into the experience.
I have had many years of experience and have found the 2 Sisters & Laura Candler websites helpful in getting center type work going.

Last edited by SteelerFan; 10-07-2017 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: edit
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote