Help

Substitute Teachers

Subs for resource teachers

>

twin2

Subs for resource teachers
Old 10-05-2017, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does the district you work get subs for resource teachers? I realize resource teachers do groups, but I don't think they used to get subs or that they do enough groups to warrant a sub. I accepted a half day sub position for a resource teacher, half wondering if that teacher put in the absence incorrectly requesting a sub. It just occurred to me that a sub might be requested for the resource teacher to cover meetings for various teachers. What do you think?

twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Depends
Old 10-05-2017, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It depends on what the resource teacher does. I am a resource teacher and get subs as just because I am out, doesn't mean the kids don't still need the specially designed instruction. There is a required amount written into each IEP for each student. If I am out sick for one day and I have 10 kids that require 20 minutes of reading instruction, I am responsible for that taking place. If they don't get services from me or a sub that day, then I have to make up the time. This will then interfere with that the students are doing with general education and they get further behind there.

I'm not saying this is true for every situation, I just know in my district, I have to request a sub if I am out to help deliver that instruction time or I have to find more time in the day to make it up.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Just subbed resource today.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First was the math kids - 7th grade. Then 6th grade science where I pushed in. Then 8th grade reading - small group instruction. Then study hall. Our resource teachers have the students for regular reading, language arts, and math. They or aides push in for social studies/science.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-05-2017, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In the districts where I sub, subs for resources teachers are frequently pulled for coverage in other classrooms. In one district it is pretty much expected that you will be pulled if you are subbing for a resource teacher.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

In a word, "yes."
Old 10-06-2017, 02:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have subbed for resource teachers... but I know that our sub-coordinator is challenged almost every morning with realigning and prioritizing resources when subs don't show up or there are last minute absences or changes.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Good morning
Old 10-06-2017, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am sitting in the resource office listening to a fall fest planning meeting. The job for today is to cover for various teachers as they attend meetings this morning. In the past the secretary used to just call in a certain number of subs under each teacher's name and then give us a schedule. All is well. It seems like this will be a relaxed day. Hopefully it really will be a good day. I want to enjoy my job, even if I am the sub.

CC96

Yes
Old 10-06-2017, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I see RSP teacher jobs come up all the timeó I have taken a few of them and I have never been pulled to do something else, Iíve always done the RSP teacher job.
CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-06-2017, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My day was a little too relaxed. I worked in the resource room between covering meetings. It was a nice change. Taking this job today allowed me to pick up 9 more days between the end of the month and the end of January. One of those days is a half day but that's fine. I was very happy they offered me those meeting days. I love going into a class for just a short time because there isn't usually any drama. Then when I take that class later for a full day, the kids aren't as anxious because they didn't get into any trouble with me last time, so our day usually goes so much better. It's like a free card to building a rapport with them.

Cetti

Old 10-07-2017, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

State Law in NY for funding purposes someone must be there.
Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote