Asheville NC or surrounding areas? What's the Deal? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Asheville NC or surrounding areas? What's the Deal?

>

redhead38

Asheville NC or surrounding areas? What's the Deal?
Old 10-08-2017, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I have been out of teaching for several years...took a break due to stress, but have since moved to Asheville from Florida and would like to know what the climate is like at the schools. I know NC has some of the lowest paid teachers and from what else I have been reading...some dissatisfaction. I do love teaching but much has changed since I left. I would like some honest critiques of the area schools and what to expect. I plan on subbing for a time but welcome any advice.

redhead38 is offline   Reply With Quote

PNW_bound

Old 04-24-2018, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi there, I currently teach outside of Asheville and have for two years. I just turned in my resignation and plan to move to the west coast this summer.

The salary isn't affordable for the COL here. Asheville is as expensive as Chicago according to many of the COL calculators I've been using. I'm drowning here as a single gal.

You will absolutely get a job, no doubt, because every school here is pretty desperate. But that's....not necessarily good news.

We have no lunch break, no recess break and no protected planning here in elementary. High school teachers get a 60 minute lunch break AND a 90 minute planning period daily. It's unfair.

I'm not interested in being a martyr, so I'm leaving.
PNW_bound is offline   Reply With Quote