Help

Special Education

Help for a Resource Room Newbie

>

Zeza

Help for a Resource Room Newbie
Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I am a newly assigned CT teacher for an elementary school. I work for an outside agency and come into the school to provide services. It's been several years since I held a special education position, so this feels like I am starting all over.

I am assigned to provide resource room services for a 1st grade student 4 days a week. He has three goals to focus on. How do you plan your instruction? Do you focus only on these goals, and provide all material yourself, or does the classroom teacher provide materials too? I am trying hard to look competent even though I am feeling very inadequate. Since I am employed by an outside agency, I have little resources within the school to ask, although I am working on forming relationships. Thanks for any advice!

Zeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As a resource teacher I still have to teach whatnthe regular education teachers teach only slower.
Tsy2013 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You need to ask someone at the school as every school is different. At my first school, I was only supposed to teach IEP goals in my resource room. At my current school, I'm expected to be aligned with the general education curriculum, even though I don't have any resources like the classroom teachers do. The other special ed teachers at the school should be able to help you.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
SpoofyOne

SpoofyOne

Resource is Hodge Podge
Old 09-24-2017, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi like others have mentioned it depends on the school. I am working on site at an elementary. and we are doing LLI- a literacy intervention program and that is for 2 periods. The teachers have told me the kids cannot keep up with Math so they want them in my class. For some I work on math skills and try to align core and with what they are doing in current class, for others who have dyslexia- for example. I drill math facts. I do make time when I can to focus on IEP goal work too.
I have an aide who works with me with small groups of students. So as you can see there is little time for PU (Push In} to get students to work with regular class, and let alone gather all GE assignments that their regular teachers are passing out daily. Its a real Hodge Podge but what you need to maybe do is look at their present levels on the IEP and take it from there build lessons where needs are.
Amirsdoctry

Amirsdoctry

Resource Room Help
Old 10-10-2017, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You should be able to get resources from the gen. ed. teacher. Also, ask the principal for resources. There might be a leveled reading library in the building. You plan your instruction according to the general education curriculum. However, there will be modifications. Those will be included in the I.E.P. As a service provider you should have been given that day one. Also, the parent would be a great resource as well.

Good Luck!