Pacing Guide with Readers Workshop

>

sundancekid2

sundancekid2

Pacing Guide with Readers Workshop
Old 08-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey everyone

I am starting my third year of teaching 6th grade ELA and am getting tired of the "big book" model my school uses for their ELA curriculum. For one, many of the stories are 4-500 points above my students' lexile levels. Secondly, I really want my students to choose their own reading materials so that they care more about what they are learning.

Do you all have any advice in how to incorporate both the big book and a readers workshop model?

Thanks

Singvogel

by the day
Old 08-09-2017, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Link your workshop mini-lessons to the anthology lesson. Shorten the anthology lesson and use the text as mentor test. Maybe make Fridays a special workshop day- call it "choice" day?
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Lit Book and Reader's Workshop
Old 10-10-2017, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use a Lit Book and also have Reader's Workshop which we call Book Club. My students have a story or two a week from the Lit Book. I teach mini lessons that go with the skills presented in the stories. Students apply the skills to their own books in Book Club. Book Clubs meet at least twice a week. Students are expected to read their independent books at least 20 minutes a night. Students choose their own independent books for Club and I also let them choose their partners. Most students naturally choose other students that have similar lexiles are reading habits.
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote