Praxis - ARGH!!!! Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (5017) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Future Teachers

Praxis - ARGH!!!! Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (5017)

>

utkgrad101

Praxis - ARGH!!!! Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (5017)
Old 08-18-2017, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in the state of TN. Our required passing score for Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (5017) is 153. That being said I do my student teaching next semester (if I can pass my Praxis exams). I have taken this exam twice and failed it - twice (148 & 149). I didn't study the 1st time as I was taking 12 hours this summer. I studied this time, but only raise my score by 1 point. I am only a stinking 5 points away!

I have the Kaplan Praxis Prep 2017-2018 and what I studied for this time around was NOT what I saw on the test. Am I just that dense?? What is the best study guide out there for me to pass this stinking exam?

I am so very frustrated as I put in multiple hours of study time. Math is NOT my thing so I am aware I might not do that good in that section, but I am at a loss as to what to do!

TIA!

utkgrad101 is offline   Reply With Quote

utkgrad101

Old 08-18-2017, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am in need of some major help! I have taken the Praxis Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment two times. I gained 1 big whole point the 2nd time I took it and I had studied for umpteen hours upon end. I used the Kaplan Praxis Prep 2017-2018 book. What I studied I did not see on the test! I had everything on Quizlet and made flashcard, quizzes, all the sorta stuff that the app allows you to do. What am I doing wrong? Am I studying the wrong stuff? Is there better study material out there? I passed my PLT no problem. I failed my Content Knowledge (5018) by 5 points. I failed my Reading Assessment by 4 points. Can I just SCREAM????? I am so very frustrated.

Maybe I studied for the Content Knowledge and not the Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment? What is your best advice for me?

I hopefully will get to do my student teaching come Spring. Lord willing and the creek don't rise. AND I pass my exams.
utkgrad101 is offline   Reply With Quote

newsubLisa

Old 08-21-2017, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not familiar with what is on this exam so I don't know if I can be much help. You should receive detailed results from your test that show how you did on different areas. For the math praxis it was only two areas, but did help me know where to focus my studying.

If you need practice with math, I HIGHLY recommend using Khan Academy. Find the subjects you need to review and do the practice problems in them until you feel comfortable. The site has videos and step-by-step solutions to help as well.

Good luck!!!
newsubLisa is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 10-13-2017, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

well, you are almost there, so you must be doing something right.

Where did you go wrong? I was just looking at it and it seems to mainly be theory but when applied to the particular question. For instance, one of the first in the study guide asked what an example of Vygotsky's scaffolding would be, and gave 4 answers, 3 wrong. The answer would have been to give the lesson with "some" answers given. I can understand this. Allow some step by step examples of a procedure so students can follow along.

Possibly instead of writing off math, you might get a bit better at it, and gain those points that way. I like math, but am not a wiz at it, but I like it because there is only 1 right answer, unlike some of the more philosophical questions where there might be "shades of gray" right or wrong answers.

If you hone in on the math, that might take you over the edge. As far as I have been able to deduce, the math is only up to about the intermediate algebra level.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote