Help

Special Education

SPED issue with new P

>

Haley23

SPED issue with new P
Old 10-12-2017, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just need to vent. My new P is driving me nuts. At one point she was a reading intervention teacher, so she thinks she knows a lot about sped. She is very into identifying "dyslexic" kids.

She was observing in a K room the other day and decided that one of the students is dyslexic because when they did letter, keyword, sound (Fundations) the student was overemphasizing the last sound in the keyword. The student already has an IEP for speech and was overemphasizing that sound because it's one of the articulation sounds she's working on. New P told the classroom teacher she'd need services added right away for the "dyslexia." All of the student's academic data is at or near grade level. That's not how it works! There have been several incidents like this.

New P has basically said problem solving is a waste of time and they just need to be identified. I get that for some kids that have obvious disabilities, it seems like hoops to jump through, but it's the law! Non-response to intervention is required to identify LD in my state. They also have to be at or below the 12th percentile on standardized measures. For K students, they pretty much have to have absolutely no skills to be scoring at the 12th percentile or lower.

I don't want to get on a new P's bad side as I know most people interpret not agreeing to test as "not wanting to help" the child. However, I also don't want to waste my time testing a bunch of kids that won't qualify!

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

meetings?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you do intervention meetings? At our school we have to meet on students with the team (school psych, teacher, parents, principal and anyone else who might need to be involved with a referral). That is when we discuss where child is currently functioning, what the concerns are and why testing may or may not be appropriate, as well as what intervention need to happen. Maybe you can do a "pre" meeting with everyone except the parents, so principal hears that child is doing age-level work, is making progress with current programming and hears from SLP that the emphasized sound is because child is working on it in speech, she will back off.

Also, our psych does a mini-inservice at the beginning of each year with all staff just to reinforce that RTI HAS to be done before we can even think about opening student up for LD evaluation.

Sounds like your principal needs some training on special ed laws and requirements.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Ugh!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can you pull current data and the current IEP to show the data that the student is working at or near grade level? I would also ask for a doctor's note stating the student has dyslexia. Of course, that won't win brownie points with the principal :P

Do you have and RTI process at your school? Is speech the only area this student qualifes for IEP in? If they also qualify in reading, then you can't get more indepth intervention than IEP work. Your new P may need to brush up on special ed a bit more.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-13-2017, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We've had MTSS (what we're now calling RtI) in the past. New P came in and changed a lot of that. It used to be that classroom teachers would meet with their grade level and the intervention teachers to problem solve first, with documentation. If that didn't work, the student was referred to our school wide MTSS team.

Over the past few years we've done a lot of work on that team to make it about problem solving and not just putting kids on IEPs. Even when it's obvious the kid needs to be referred, we say up front that we'll be testing, but that's not going to solve the problem, so we need to spend the rest of the meeting actually brainstorming other ideas. My school has more intervention teachers than sped teachers. Once the child has an IEP, they don't get a smaller group, more intervention time, or any kind of "special" tier 3 curriculum meant for students with disabilities. We're not allowed to modify and any kid can get accommodations, including for state testing, without a formal plan. IMO the only benefit of actually getting the IEP is simply documentation in case the child happens to go to another school.

We talked to the P about our process at the beginning of the year and she said the grade level/intervention meetings were a waste of time and we could just get rid of those. We have a sped team meeting weekly that she attends. In one of our beginning of the year meetings, I brought up concerns about how anything would be documented since the grade level meetings were no longer happening. I tried to be diplomatic and said perhaps we could ask our sped director if the documentation in our online system was absolutely necessary (of course knowing that she'd say yes).

P said that could happen during data teams. She said she understood that the paperwork needed to be filled out, even though I'd previously heard her tell the intervention teachers they no longer had to do it. We had data teams this week. Basically, what happened was a teacher would say, "I'm concerned about Johnny's progress," no further discussion or documentation occurred, and P signed the child up for an MTSS meeting.

Our first day of MTSS meetings is next week and I am very nervous for how they will go. I'm expecting P to want every child that comes up referred. We do progress monitor all below grade level students in DIBELS weekly and we have an intervention block where everyone gets something (although the quality of that "something" varies greatly), so I can't really say that we don't have enough data points or that no interventions have been done.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote