Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Envisions math workbook question

>

RetiredKat

Envisions math workbook question
Old 09-29-2017, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you have any tips or suggestions as to handle the books? Older children can be responsible for tearing out pages and keeping up with their books. But I suspect little ones will have a much more difficult time since the books are so heavy. Yesterday I spent the whole day pulling apart and stapling together individual lessons from Vol. 1 for one teacher. There has to be a better and more efficient way. The K-2 teachers are trying different methods but we don't like any of them.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE!!!!!!!!

RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 09-30-2017, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have envisions workbooks but I do use engageny workbooks. I have first grade students and for the most part, they are able to find the page and tear it out themselves. It does take assistance at the beginning and practice, but we are on lesson 14 now and I'd say that 18/21 can now manage to tear the page out themselves. I know that some of my colleagues do different things, like keeping the page in the book, or tearing the page out ahead of time, or not using the book at all and just photocopying the pages.

But for me, teaching them how to tear it out themselves is the best solution. Sure, once in a while I have to tape a page that is torn in half, and I have to help the few kids that still can't do it, but overall I prefer that to having to do them all myself.

(When we used envisions it was a loose sheet system called "workmats." I don't know if the envisions workbooks are like traditional workbooks - 8 1/2 x 11 tear out sheets.)

Best of luck to you for finding the right solution!
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Envision
Old 09-30-2017, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When we had it each lesson came as a packet, sort of like Scholastic book catalogues. I had parents separate them or just pulled out the staple and did it myself.

But, Words Their Way uses workbooks. I taught my kids how to fold the perforated line then pull it out. Lots of tape!

Do the pages have to be pulled out? Can they just work in the book or is it too big?
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

math book
Old 09-30-2017, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for responding. The books are hugh especially for little ones. When I had my third grade class I would pull out one unit at a time and place it in an envelope. Students were responsible for their own envelopes. Still not a great system.

The assessments are also included in the books and not separate. I really like the idea of workmats. We also don't have as much parent participation as we once had. It's just so time consuming.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2tchkdz

Old 10-16-2017, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm late to the conversation, but anyway, at my old school the teachers cut the binding off the workbooks. At the discrict office they have a machine that will slice it right off. They then put the workbook in a folder for each child and pulled pages out as needed. I personally didn't like this too much either because it felt like wasted time to sit there and fish out page whatever 20 times from each folder. However, it was quicker than walking around helping kids tear it out and taping those pages of distrought kinders who "just couldn't go on!" with a torn page. kinders!

Luv2tchkdz is offline   Reply With Quote