Help

Second Grade

Eureka Math

>

marsha8083

Eureka Math
Old 09-15-2017, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school recently purchased Eureka Math and I have been teaching it for the past 9 weeks. I teach 2nd grade and they are having a terrible time with it. They are struggling. The math seems to be way over their heads. Does anyone out there also teach Eureka Math and if so, are you having any difficulty?I don't know if it's the math or if it's the group I have this year????? I just know that, when it is math time, it is overwhelming. Any thoughts or ideas????

marsha8083 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 09-15-2017, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have used Eureka Math at our school for 4 years now and it is overwhelming, especially in the beginning! Some of the strategies that they want the kids to use, especially ones involving multiple steps, are difficult a for the students, especially struggling students. It does get a little easier the second year you teach it because you start to remember specific strategies and lessons that were difficult and you can modify or spend additional time on skills as needed.

One resource that I found out about last year is www.zearn.org This is a free website that matches the Eureka curriculum almost exactly. It is broken down my modules (they call them missions) and then individual lessons. Each lesson will show a video and have guided practice to help teach the skills. We usually do this together in whole group each day at the beginning of our math block, but you can also set up student accounts and have the kids work through it at their own pace. If you haven't used Zearn definitely check it out. It has truly been a life saver for me!!

Hang in there! Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

marsha8083

Eureka
Old 09-15-2017, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh my goodness, thank you for the information, especially the web site. I'm looking forward to checking it out. 😄
marsha8083 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenny1969

Old 10-04-2017, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is new in my system this year, too! The kids cry, the teachers cry. It is too much!
Jenny1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

daisy789

struggling too!
Old 10-18-2017, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was just about to post a similar message when I came across your post. We have been using it for 3 years now and my 2nd graders don't understand the strategies presented. Nor do they know how to solve single step word problems and now I'm required to teach 2 step problems.

I am just wondering if this is a problem for most classrooms. My 2nd graders do not know any math facts, even Numbers + 1, so the sprints are too challenging for them at this time of the year.

I also have been using Zearn as a class and individually. This has not proved to be helpful.

daisy789 is offline   Reply With Quote