Help

Substitute Teachers

No clock in the room!

>

twin2

No clock in the room!
Old 10-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed in a second grade class today and there was not a clock anywhere. I did not wear a watch, so I pulled out my cell phone. I did not have pockets so I had to carry my phone out in the open, which seems to be acceptable these days, but it makes me nervous.

It was kind of nice that nobody was watching the clock today. Surprisingly they didn't ask for the time either. I told the kids early on that I would be looking at my phone to see the time since there wasn't a clock in the room. A few of them innocently tried to tell me to just use the clock on the Smart board (subs in our district do not have computer or smart board access).

Since I was using my phone anyway, I set timers for myself to help myself with pacing and keep us on time for transitions. This worked well for me today, despite being dependent on wall clocks.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

that's legal
Old 10-04-2017, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Even regulars do this and I know of colleagues that would put multiple alarms and they have their I-phone on their chest pocket or hip pocket on vibrate. But everyone knows.
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-05-2017, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If there is no clock and you don't have a computer log-in you pretty much have to use your phone. I have my phone set up to do this. Just about any app (except jobulator) that makes noise is muted. I set alarms and timers to guide me through the day.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

Old 10-06-2017, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I must be old. I wear a watch. And I find when there is no clock in an elementary classroom, students will inquire as to what the time is. In middle and high school, students just sneak a peek on their cell phones.
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-06-2017, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Generally I like to have a watch. I would like to get a new one. I want to go back to a wind up watch because it should last longer than a battery.

An app that silences the other things on my phone while allowing the time and alarm to function would be great. I am always so afraid a text message will come through while I have the volume on

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wellson

Maybe do a little test
Old 10-19-2017, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My alarm will still sound if I have my phone on silent. I found that out in a very quiet meeting once, lol.
Wellson is offline   Reply With Quote