Help

The Job Search

Starting out again

>

cattleya

Starting out again
Old 10-13-2017, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I messed up really bad while I was getting my Masters in Education. I was a substitute teacher and was having a massive health issue while trying to keep some children in line. I will not go into it further. I was investigated and fired from the district a year ago. The investigation was dropped, and it is not on my record. I also still have my license.

I want to start over again. I have a BA in English, and a M.Ed. I have not taken any tests, and have not student taught.

I live in a state where they really need teachers and was told by the PED that I just needed to apply and take the first 3 tests, and generally, the student teaching would be done while I was teaching as a full-time teacher. They seem fine about taking back a teacher who has erred.

These are the rules for the state I am in, and I can't speak for any other state.

I cannot work in the town where I am in because I was fired here, but I can get a job farther away in the little farming communities. It would be a long commute, but at least I could redeem myself.

Should I give this up? Is it possible to start again after a bad mistake? I had all but given up, and now I hear that it is not impossible.

Really, it took me a year of unemployment in which I was desperately sick, and I feel I have been punished enough.

cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Well er...thanks?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry no one has chimed in. I resolved the issue, so to speak. I contacted the PED, talked to an investigator, and found that my license (Sub) is perfectly fine because the investigation was closed (in my favor). I was counseled by the ethics investigator I spoke to, to either try to make it good with this school system, or drop them totally and move on to apply at another town. That is the road I will take. No more contact with this school system.

I need a job pretty badly now, so I will sub until I pass all of my tests and get my intern or teacher's license. I live in a state where there are 7 tests, and you can be hired as a teacher before you take the final. My big problem is Math. Obviously, I can do elementary math, but the test calls for college algebra, and I get the formulas and steps mixed up.

I also have a college class that I can teach (with a Master's) coming up.

Last edited by cattleya; 10-19-2017 at 12:53 PM..
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote

MStchr68

Old 12-19-2017, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi, Cattleya-

I've just logged on after a few months- I wish other people had responded. I've been in a similar situation with a vindictive principal and the counsel I received was to only say good things (but choose things that demonstrate some of the difficulty you went through) and move on.

Subbing until you pass most of your tests sounds like a pretty good gig, and it's good that you can teach that one college class you mentioned.

How's it going? Seven tests? Sheesh!

MStchr68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 12-19-2017, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It sounds like you've found a way to come out of this stronger and more determined. I'm glad your health is better and hope you pass all your tests.

For what it's worth, I'm an excellent primary grade math teacher, but I doubt I could pass an algebra test right now.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote