Help

Substitute Teachers

Strangest lesson plan ever.

>

mrsd5

Strangest lesson plan ever.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Subbed two days for Industrial Arts (CAD, Intro to Tech, etc.). Most was good. One class was stacked with yahoos. Luckily, I knew the ones to watch from when they were in middle school. Today, though, the kids were awesome. Period 4 lesson plans? Not so much. They read:

"You can take them out to the football field to paint. I you can't do that, show them a movie on YouTube. We're in a bad place right now."

Here was my response:

Football field being mowed = no painting
No computer = no movie
I gave them a study hall.

Seriously, why did he take the laptop that controls the projector? Luckily, it was a small class (9 kids). And they were fine. They napped and played on their phones for most of the 80 minutes. And yes, I showed the plans to the Athletic Director (who used to be the Industrial tech teacher) because I was clueless about painting the football field. I also showed the Asst. Principal to tell him that there was no computer to run a movie. I also told him that they would be having a study hall. He came in halfway through the class, and saw them on their phones. Oh well. I was doing a Sudoku puzzle.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

if it's shops
Old 10-17-2017, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Okay, so if it's a shops class and you know, tools and electricity are needed, I can understand if the instructor puts in the plan "please show some movie" that may have no connection to their current project or work. And nowadays there's so many D-I-Y shows that could be used as "movie" to inspire. But having students work on autocad in which computers are a tool wouldn't be so bad.

On a related note, I know of supplies who've shared experiences with me not to have students operate on tools and have the power off. And then there's a case when a guest was specifically told not to use those smartboards and "don't even try" was indicated on the plan. Weird.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-17-2017, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

"We're in a bad place right now." The mind whirls with unanswered questions.

I could understand not wanting a sub to use the shop tools. Way too much liability there.

@Mikhail: I'm betting the "don't even try" comment regarding the
smartboard was a result of a sub coming in and creating a FUBAR scenario. (Unintentionally, of course) A few of the subs I've encountered have made me wonder if they were recruited during a late-night sweep of the local Wal-Mart.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Fubar?
Old 10-17-2017, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
a sub coming in and creating a FUBAR scenario. (Unintentionally, of course) A few of the subs I've encountered have made me wonder if they were recruited during a late-night sweep of the local Wal-Mart.
Is FUBAR short for something? And I know that this is not a shot at the good people of Wal-Mart because they're great people. At least in my neck of the woods, that is.

twin2

Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's sad that the teacher couldn't come up with something for the students to do for 80 minutes. That could have gone so wrong. I really wish I new what was intended by "you can take them out to the football field to paint".

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Fubar
Old 10-18-2017, 02:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Fubar is a military term dating to WWII. It is an acronym meaning fouled up beyond all recognition - or a stronger word for fouled.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

how apt!
Old 10-18-2017, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
"We're in a bad place right now."
I should use FUBAR with my texting! Nice. I only know of AWOL circa WW2 (?). Anyway like mooba1 says.

Subtastic

Old 10-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I hate those kind of plans. Do they think so little of us that they write this? I'm sorry but as a certified teacher, I would not have given them a study hall. I would have taken out my Ray Bradbury short story or my alernative view of George Washington article from my bag to read - discussed it, assigned some questions, etc. There is already so much wasted time in school that we don't need to add to it!

Last edited by Subtastic; 10-18-2017 at 05:01 PM..
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

I would have
Old 10-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

....when I was teaching full time, had alternate lessons. Maybe a review of what they had learned. Maybe something interactive on the Chromebooks (we are a Chromebook 1-to-1 district). I know that we had to have emergency plans for one day and for three days at the middle school (same district). There were only 9 kids in the class, so it wouldn't have taken much effort.

Oh, and painting the field means restriping and numbering after it has been mowed. The Industrial Tech and Design students do that sometimes.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote