Help

Substitute Teachers

Getting emergency cert?

>

MissELA

Getting emergency cert?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was a sub for a learning support teacher who was out for surgery for the past 3 weeks. Previously the P didn't know when or if the teacher was coming back and was talking to me about emergency special education cert. Now the teacher has come back, though they requested for me to sub for them again for a few weeks in December/January. P's talk of the emergency cert stopped when the teacher came back or so I thought.

This morning P came to me and asked me if I was still interested in SPED cert. I genuinely enjoyed my time subbing in the learning support environment and I'm very interested in pursuing the cert. P had said they had brought me up in a meeting and told the SPED department that they should get me emergency cert. He double checked to make sure I was still interested. I told him I was. P really likes me in general so I'm told.

P told me a couple weeks ago that there were plenty of SPED positions, unsurprisingly, in the district. The teacher I've been subbing for is also retiring at the end of the year.

Could this be a good sign? I'm certified in another area, but this emergency cert could ultimately turn into a full time position. I definitely don't want to get ahead of myself and I'm not getting myself stuck on it.

MissELA is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 10-19-2017, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds great, if it is what you want. I have been looking at schools systems, and sped seems like it is looking for people in many states. It certainly looks like job stability. The money for being a teacher is way better than substituting.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-19-2017, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's seems like everyone is special ed certified here, but there is a shortage of special educators. If you think you will enjoy it, go for it. Job Stability
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There is never a shortage of Sped positions, so it's no wonder the P is making so many inquiries. It's not easy to find people who want to teach Sped, let alone people who are competent. He is not going to let you get away if he can help it!

I had to laugh when I read twin2's reply. As a matter of fact, I am Sped certified.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote