Help

Substitute Teachers

Student said...

>

twin2

Student said...
Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The phone rang. As I hurried across the classroom to get the phone, a fifth grade girl said to me, "Run, Forest, run".

This caught me off guard and I wasn't sure if I should be insulted or not. I just shook my head and gave a little gasp, not wanting to feed into anything. That was the end of it. I never addressed it. The other students did not feed into it. We just let it go.

This student is one of those students that seems to just say what is on her mind, not really having a filter. Earlier in the morning, she saw the teacher next door, and yelled, "Hi Mrs. _____!" Then became angry when the teacher told her to change her color for disrupting both classes. Both classes were in a transition, just settling for learning. She could not understand how what she did was disruptive.

Throughout the morning she commented on just about everything a certain student did. That poor student needs reminders to stay on task, but not to be policed by a peer. Of course, she felt she was not doing anything wrong.

I took all that into account when she said, "Run, Forest run". It's probably something she has heard more than once. Regardless, she probably thought it was acceptable to say, and even if she didn't, I wasn't up for the attitude that I was sure would follow if I came down on her for that. This would have put her on orange, which is an automatic self assessment. I would like to have had a private conversation about what she said, but not at the expense of getting her overly upset and escalating the situation.

I told my husband about this. He thought it was funny though he was surprised a "little kid" would blurt that out at a teacher. I don't think fifth grade is so little. I sure hope this girl learns some respect because I'm sure it's hard to be so mouthy yet think she hasn't done anything wrong.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Subbing for fifth grade
Old 10-18-2017, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is the one of the most difficult grades to sub for I find. They're still treated as "little kids" but should be independent by now. That's the reason they act so immature.

Don't take the comment to heart. I've been called everything under the sun. Disrespect is unfortunately very common in middle school. I think some of the kids who display a lack of respect ether aren't being taught it at home, or aren't being penalized at school.

My two cents.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

My two cents...
Old 10-20-2017, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As noted, kids often haven't developed filters... and that can be true at any age. This sounds like a young lady who could use some help channeling her amazing energy.

Personally, I agree with her not understanding how the greeting was disruptive. It seems to me she was "punished" for her friendliness and earned the right to be angry.

I'm also a bit surprised that she's still using a color chart/stick in fifth grade--that suggests she may be labeled special needs. That might explain her exuberance.

Lastly, we ought not to forget that they are often channeling/mimicking the adults they are around. I'd be willing to bet she doesn't know the origin of the phrase "Run, Forest, run." (I'd have probably countered in a joking way, "Running is not allowed in school.")

(This reminds me of the time the phone rang and I couldn't find it--it was buried under books and papers! We all had a good laugh over that one!)

That might be more than two cents worth.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote