Help

First Grade

1st Grade: Lowercase/Letter Reversal?

>

MissEmmaJ7

1st Grade: Lowercase/Letter Reversal?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Some of my first grade students still write in all uppercase letters most of the time. Is this normal? I am new to first grade, but I thought that lower case letters would be the norm, with proper punctuation/capitalization being taught throughout the year. Perhaps the goal is lowercase by the end of the year?

However, some of them do not even know how to properly write all of their lower case. While I know the learned them, they often switch them around.

Should I incorporate extra/more handwritting practice into the daily or weekly schedule or is this normal? My students are just beginning to get excited about just writing, so I do not want to turn it into a chore. But, I want is best for my learners, and if this is not normal, I want to bring them up as much as possible to level.

Thank you, all you pro-teachers, in advance!

Last edited by MissEmmaJ7; 09-14-2017 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: typo
MissEmmaJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 09-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my third year of teaching first grade and in the beginning of the year I do see kids sometimes MIX uppercase and lowercase. I have never had a student that wrote in all uppercase. That usually lets me know what they either have not had good instruction in writing the lowercase letters or is there is another issue going on.

We use Fundations at my school and I LOVE it. I teach letter formation every single day in whole group, small groups, and sometimes one on one if necessary. My students' handwriting was really beautiful by the end of the last year because of all of the time we spent practicing.

If you'd like some easy things to do, I read an article that said the best way for students to learn how to write letters correctly is to trace them. It seems tedious but I think it's the best way for students to learn. We also use whiteboards and markers, makes it a little more fun!
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

chronicfun

reversals
Old 09-14-2017, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

reversals are common in first grade. I was always taught that reversals are common up until the end of second grade and if they are still happening consistently it should be addressed at that point.

I typically had individualized morning work and tracing letters was common for those who needed more practice.

Your concern about turning reversal practice into a chore is valid. When kids are writing, let them write. I think handwriting practice and the process of writing should be 2 separate skills.
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I've taught first grade for 20 out of 25 year
Old 09-14-2017, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always teach handwriting as a separate subject. Many kindergarteners don't have the fine motor skills to make lower case letters correctly, so they are more comfortable writing upper case letters. First grade is a good time to transition them. Reversals are quite common, but my first graders usually stop reversing letters by Christmas. I often put confusing letters on their desks for them to refer to. Sometimes I use the rough part of velcro or sandpaper to cut the letters out of so they can trace them when they need to.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Reversals are not a concern until age 7-8 for girls and 8-9 for boys.

Uppercase? Talk to the kinder teacher. Not accusatory, just informational. There are some teachers that feel that lowercase letter formation is not developmentally appropriate in PK and/or K because of the different starting points. I personally taught both fro day one of PK because I feel it's unfair to teach something that will then need to be untaught, but I'm very to each his own so I respect the teachers that do it that way.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Letters-handwriting
Old 09-15-2017, 02:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

24th year in first.

Handwriting issues mentioned are same every year. I address them separate from writing instruction.

Modeling correct word formation is important. We do this in our morning message and when I model writing.

I have kid writing samples from other years, scanned, up on big screen. We look for "glows" and " grows". Glows could be notice how this student started her sentence with capital letter. A grow could be he needs to use lowercase letters in that word.

Handwriting:
Tracing letters is very helpful. I always use lined paper too. Kids love markers for this. We practice air writing, writing letters on their palm with a finger.
And sometimes I give selected kids home practice on letter formation.

Our OT recommends handwriting without tears program as the best and that's used in her therapy.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I see this and usually expect it to go away by the end of the year.

As you teach writing, you can address it. However, if I see a capital in the middle of their name (except when it is supposed to be there), I ask them to change it. It usually only takes a few times before they get that.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

jana

Jana
Old 10-22-2017, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have taught 1st grade for almost 26 years now. I have been told many times, over the years, that reversals are normal, even into second grade.
jana is offline   Reply With Quote