Kindergarten

What would your school do?

>

Kteach0929

Kteach0929

What would your school do?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student this year that from the 1st day of school demonstrated extreme physical aggression towards students and staff. Without a trigger, she'll lunge and attack whoever is around her, pulling hair, biting, scratching, etc.. By the 2nd week of school we were doing room clears 3-4x/week so that our admin team could come in and deescalate her. We put a behavior plan in place, she gets frequent breaks with my para, and we've met with the parent on a weekly basis to review behavior data. After 2 months, I demanded that we stop doing room clears because my students weren't learning anything by being in the gym for 3 hours a day, so now her plan includes being taken out of the classroom when aggression escalates.

After all of this, the parent finally shared with us that the child has a mental health diagnosis and has been asked to leave 3 other schools before ours. We had a sped referral meeting last week and the parent refused testing & doesn't want any kind of sped services in place, any type of behavior plan in place, and isn't willing to do outside behavioral therapy.

What would your school do if you had a student with severe behavioral needs that the parent refuses to consent to provide services for? Students & staff (even our admin team) have gone home with cuts & bruises on almost a daily basis.

Lillybabe

Old 10-22-2017, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think if the child's parents are refusing all supports then she should be treated like any other kindergartener. Anytime she has an inappropriate behavior you give her the same consequence as everyone else. Would other kids who bite get suspended? Suspend her everyday she bites. Without an IEP in place I think that would be perfectly legal even with the new laws. She's a danger to herself and others which is still a legal reason to remove a child from the classroom. If she's being suspended everyday soon her parents are going to be willing to allow her to receive support. I also wonder if this warrants a report to an outside agency. Maybe not DCFS but surely there's something that can be done when parents refuse to do what's best for their child. It's not good for anyone for her to continue to act like this. I'd also wonder what caused these behaviors. How many children have severe behaviors like this without trauma or abuse? My sister is fostering a little boy who is in kindergarten and he's been sent home/suspended three times already this school year for far less aggressive behaviors and he has a 504 Plan.
Lillybabe is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At my school the child would be suspended every time she was violent. If the incidents continued, she would be expelled. My school lets kids get away with a lot (like tearing up the entire classroom), but physical violence is the one thing they'll draw the line on.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

We would go through our state dept of ed
Old 10-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We've gone through the sped hearing process before, successfully, in order to provide an education to the child. The reason was educational neglect.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-22-2017, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Honestly, we would have frequent, awkward meetings with the parents (doing an FBA and putting a BIP in place) and call Protective Services repeatedly. Call them to pick the kid up every time s/he acted out violently. A lot of pressure on the parents.

Eventually, we would either have the child placed in a classroom for the Emotionally/Behaviorally Disturbed or the parents would bounce. Most bounce and go school shopping.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote