Career Decisions

Career Advice

>

firstyearwoes

Career Advice
Old 10-01-2017, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I am currently feeling very defeated with teaching. Maybe it's the endless amount of work or maybe it's how my life is so unbalanced. I am in my late 20s and I am currently thinking about leaving the profession after the end of the year. I have no idea where to go from here other than finding sub jobs, para jobs, or entry level jobs to fill the void and then find my next profession or career.

Has anyone ever have gone through this? How did you cope with the rest of the year, knowing that you are unhappy? Finally, what possible careers do former teachers pursue?

firstyearwoes is offline   Reply With Quote

skrat

You're Not Alone
Old 10-03-2017, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am feeling that way too. This is my second year of teaching and I've decided it isn't the career for me. I'm not quite as young as you, but I'm getting out after this year. I am not sure what advice to give you about what other career to pursue. I know that I'm having a hard time with the work/home balance. I am going to try some tutoring next year and also am going to try proofreading documents for people. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
skrat is offline   Reply With Quote

kt

Lots of opportunities
Old 10-07-2017, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've taught 17 years, and am currently on a sabbatical year. I'll most likely retire after this year. I started late, so I'm 56. What I want to tell you is that a teaching degree/credential is a college degree - there are lots of job opportunities out there for someone with a degree - any degree. Sales is a big one that prefers a degree, but it doesn't have to be in business. Think about it - you sell every day. Whether it's fake excitement for a particular lesson, or talking to parents about an issue with their kiddo that they don't want to hear about. Are you particularly interested in a part of education, but just don't want to be in the classroom? School counseling? Admin? District-level responsibilities? Curriculum? But if you just want out (believe me, I understand. Education has changed A LOT in the last 17 years), go seek other opportunities. They are out there. Our kids deserve people who are passionate about being in the classroom with them. So go find your passion, and leave teaching to people who are desperate to teach. No judgement - I'm not there anymore either. It wasn't the kids, it was everything else that goes along with teaching.
kt is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 10-23-2017, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do not think you should be thinking in terms of "entry level." But you might consider some extra training in something like "corporate training," or "instructional design."

Perhaps go to the "phone listings" of your area, and look up all "schools" meaning all colleges, community colleges and so on, and see what kinds of jobs they are offering. Like teaching, June seems to be the time to get jobs. You can spend the entire summer looking, and if you still need a job you can go back to teaching for another year.

Is the only degree you have teaching, for example, a BA in education? If you are an alt teacher, possibly go back to your original degree.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote