Help

Third Grade

Skip Counting Songs

>

Ms. J

Skip Counting Songs
Old 10-23-2017, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! We are starting our unit on multiplication soon. Do you have any favorite skip counting songs that you use in your classroom? I'm looking for skip counting for 2s, 3s, 5s...on up to 12s. I'd like to play some songs through youtube or through a CD. Any suggestions?

Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Let me get back on my soapbox!!!
Old 10-23-2017, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Go to the search window and type in "Multiplication Motivation" . I've posted numerous times about it! Of all the resources I've purchased over the years it is still the best of the best! I'M NOT KIDDING! Once they learn the tunes it's a great brain break activity. When they practice the songs without the CD they don't sing the verses, just the skip counting.

My first copy was a 33 1/3 record. In the past few years I purchased a copy for each of my great nieces and nephew. I'M NOT KIDDING!!!

OK, I'll get down from my soapbox now.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Old 10-23-2017, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

RetiredKat - preach away! I agree that it is a marvelous resource. I tracked it down after one of your prior posts!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 10-23-2017, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How do you get kids to move from skip counting to memorizing their facts? My class learned to skip count in second grade, but now I can't get them to know 3x6 without them counting "3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18." It's taking them forever to finish their multiplication problems. Help!
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

skip counting
Old 10-24-2017, 02:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Teachwonder, thank you!

tchrrx, I'm afraid there is no simple or easy answer to that. I would use timed tests but was very flexible on the time. Some children love the challenge but others are intimidated by the expectation of learning so many facts. At least with the songs it takes some of the pressure off especially when confronted with word problems. To me that was more important than immediate recall. Plus we just had a lot of fun!

One of my better ideas that I stole from the internet was a multiplication pyramid.

I'll post a picture later with directions.

RetiredKat

Pyramid front
Old 10-24-2017, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I made this many years ago...therefore it is very low tech.

The pyramid is a way for students to practice their facts. It can be used with or in place of flash cards. But it also is a visual reminder that as they master each time table that just means there are fewer facts to learn as they move up the pyramid because of the commutative property. Since 1x2 is on the first row, 2x1 is not needed on the second row. The way they practice is to look at a fact and check their answer by looking on the back. All that's needed is cardstock and a tool like a pencil or ball point pen to poke holes where you see the dot under each fact. To check an answer the child pokes a pencil in the hole and turns the card over. The answer will be above the pencil point.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

RetiredKat

Pyramid back
Old 10-24-2017, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The one tricky part is to be sure the back lines up with the front when you make copies. It may be low tech, but it's effective.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE