Help

Substitute Teachers

Issues with Sub Scheduler..

>

CharityJoy

Issues with Sub Scheduler..
Old 10-24-2017, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, in my small rural district we have one lady who calls and schedules all the subs. She always asks first in her call if you can work today, and if you tell her no she will call you less and if you keep telling her no, she will stop calling. From day one, I've always told her yes to every job and if I had to miss I would call her ahead of time and let her know I would not be available to work that day. So, I've had lots of work time since I always tell her yes.

Well, today, I am scheduled to go in as a teacher sub but the teacher actually was there and had rescheduled and someone at central forgot to tell the sub scheduler. Anyways, they then want me to sub for a custodian, which I couldn't do because I had on my "nice and good" teaching clothes on. I call and tell her and she says I can go home and change and asks if I still want to custodian sub and I tell her no. I told her no because this job isn't worth me taking two trips back and forth a day and because the custodians I talked to said the person I was filling in for stays until 7 at night.

Do you think me saying no this one time could cause my sub scheduler to call less. Now, I'm going to start keeping extra clothes in my car. Should I be worried about losing my job? I'm really worried.

CharityJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Curious
Old 10-24-2017, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is the pay the same? Back in the day, when u put in ur app, one would indicate to HR their preference in terms of the assignment they get, grade level, subject areas, or sometimes schools. I don't know if they ask those anymore or if u can let a coordinator know. Yeah, I heard of teachers taking on jobs as custodian, clerk, crossing guards but never in the role of an admin yet even to act for a day.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

CharityJoy

Same Pay!
Old 10-24-2017, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my state you just have to pass a background check and have a H.S. diploma or a GED to sub. Those with just a H.S. Diploma or GED get paid about $55 for a full day regardless if it is a teacher, assistant, kitchen, or custodian job. Those with any 4 year or Bachelor's degree get paid $65. Those who have a teaching license get paid $75. I have been told these amounts are a bit on the low side, but my district is in an extremely rural area. Anyways, same pay for the different jobs. Pay only changes based on the degree you hold.
CharityJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Very likely not
Old 10-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You are already on her good list because you say yes 99% of the time.

You might drop a note to explain you had to say no because of the two long trips to change and the need to stay much later than expected and you've got other responsibilities in the evenings. You don't have to say what they are.

She was probably asking you to go change because it would make her job easier if you could stay rather than her having to make phone calls. Truth is the school messed up. Not your fault. She may not even remember the incident in a week.

P.S. the pay IS low. There are lots of threads on the sub board comparing pay rates in various districts and states.

PPS I carried extra clothes after a child threw up on me one day. The rest of the day was not happy.

Last edited by broomrider; 10-25-2017 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: added PP.S.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 10-26-2017, 02:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In a word, "no."

Your situation sounds very similar to mine: small district, informal scheduling system, etc. You don't say how long you've been subbing, but I'd say it's possible to develop the sort of relationship with the scheduler that works for both of you. For example, if I'm called and it would be a hardship for me to come in, I may tell our coordinator why I'm not available and add that if she's really stuck for someone I can try to rearrange my schedule. We've developed a nice mutual respect and try to accommodate each other's needs.

(I live near the school--that helps as I can be there quickly. I often get called in "emergency" situations.)

One "no" will probably not get you dropped, particularly if it's an unusual situation such as you've described.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote