Help

Substitute Teachers

Smarrboards and such

>

twin2

Smarrboards and such
Old 10-17-2017, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What happens to the Smart board where you sub?

Where I sub, teachers used to tape a note to the Smart boards saying something to the effect of "This is not a white board. Please do not write on it". Apparently a sub wrote on one before...

Some teacher use document cameras and leave in their plans for subs to use their document camera. That is a tremendous help in some classes, especially the younger kids who rely on a lot of modeling.

Most of the time, subs do not have access to the Smart board because they do not have computer access. Our teachers have laptops that go with them and are never left with the sub.

I have an upcoming weeklong job and the teacher is looking into getting computer access so that student can see their typical math instruction videos each day. I really don't believe we will get that computer access. I expect we will either do without it, or be instructed to join a neighboring class for that portion of math.

What is usually done where you sub concerning Smarrboards and such for day to day and short term assignments? This discussion came up a long time ago. I'm wondering if things have changed.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-18-2017, 02:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One district allows subs to use the computers, we have our own login for them. Another district issues laptops to the subs thst have the software installed. The third district is in the Stone Age and has little in the way of tech, it's mostly in the computer lab.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-18-2017, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I finally have a computer I can leave attached to my board. As long as it doesn't get shut off, the board is available to anyone.

Problem with smart boards are there are so many different ones now. Some can be written on, and some cannot. They look very similar, too! How is a person supposed to know? I have a touch screen in my room now, and I keep trying to use the one in the computer lab as a touch screen.... Drives me crazy!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 10-18-2017, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't touch the Smart boards and I've never been asked to use one. I have enough problems when a teacher tells me to use her computer, go to such and such website, click on this, and play the video. It never works properly and then I have kids telling me how to do it 5 different ways and none of them work.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-18-2017, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Technology can be a real stressor for substitutes. Even if they know how to use that piece of equipment, things can happen to make it not work.

Wellson

Up to the teacher where I am
Old 10-19-2017, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is left up to the teacher where I sub. I have only had one teacher leave access. We did not use it much and I did not have access to any log in information. There was a student assigned the job of "smartboard". It was a great thing to have in that class because there was no whiteboard space and when going over a crossword assignment I was able to have the students take turns writing their answers on the screen and that was a big hit. This was a 6th grade class.

I did have one class that wanted me to do an entire day on the smart board, I was terrified because of lack of experience, luckily for me (and unlucky at the same time) the school network was down all day.
Wellson is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-19-2017, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have to use it (and am expected to know how) on a daily basis. I prefer to NOT use it (I don't have any training on it). If the teacher did not leave her laptop, we are expected to go to the library and check one out or go to the office where they have about 4-5 laptops designated for the subs. At all grade levels, the subs take attendance thru the laptops and use the ELMO machine, do brain breaks, etc.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 10-19-2017, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm really good with computers, and do some coding. I would have to get the "dummies guide" to smart boards though.

We usually use the overheads. The teacher computers contain privileged information about the students, so they cannot loan them out.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-19-2017, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am usually satisfied if a teacher leaves me an easel or chart paper so that I can write when necessary. Our Smartboards cover the chalkboards that we're in the room and many teacher made use of whiteboards so that they are not available for subs to write on.

mooba1

Old 10-19-2017, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My district doesn't have smartboards, but all subs have computer access, so we all use the Elmo and the projector. Every room has a whiteboard, so it's an easy system.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Smartboard access
Old 10-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Most of the time the teacher has given me access to her/his smartboard, or the teacher across the hall will come in and set it up for my use. In my area, some teachers use a flipchart program to stay on track with the same curriculum.

Some of the boards can be written on and some can not. I have a problem when the teacher has left the program in 'extended view.' I'm told it's easy to learn how to reset the view.

I wish all rooms at least had an overhead projector to share views of storybooks or handouts and instructions.
KatrynG is online now   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 10-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Since I only sub at one school all the teachers know me. So they usually leave me the password, or they'll tell me to ask the teacher next door to come and sign in. They all leave their laptops in the classrooms so it works fine. There's always some little glitch though. I'm getting better at knowing how to get out of it and of course the kids know more than any of us adults so they'll help out. lol
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

technology access
Old 10-21-2017, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I guess I'm spoiled. I have the luxury of subbing in a very large district and have limited myself to certain schools (including my old school) and schools where friends work. Because I am a retired teacher from the district I have my own login information, email, and in this long term position, access to the IEP system. The classes where I sub use technology all the time. The classes where I sub are very technology driven, so the entire day is lined up on the task bar of the computer. I love it. It makes the day go more easily.
A funny story...I subbed for a friend a couple of years ago. She told me the night before that she left everything on her desktop. Wonderful. I went in early and looked. Nothing. I turned on the Smartboard to see if enlarging the desktop would work. The Smartboard didn't work. Yikes! So, I saw a stack of papers. I had subbed in the classroom before, so decided to just go down the stack. I texted her and told her I couldn't find the lesson plans, but that we were doing fine. I had a schedule and worksheets/activities for them to do. The next day she called me and told me the lesson plans were on the desktop the entire time. Then she explained that she left the attendance, nurse's slips, and class list on the top of her desk...desk top. Oops. We got a good laugh about it. She had sent another teacher in to retrieve the documents for me, but when she walked in she saw that the students were fully engaged and the activity was going well without technology. I guess they were engaged. I was, too. I never even saw her come into the room.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-26-2017, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It's interesting the different ways schools handle technology when a sub is involved.

Spedder1 sounds like you did good with your assignment that day. When I student taught, my mentor teacher but a Smart board file onto her desktop.for me to use. Neither of us thought about it, but I had to use my own sign in (she was out that day) so the file was on her desktop, not mine. As technology driven this woman was, she just didn't get what the problem was. She just kept saying it should have been there.