ElemSped13

Fidgets and the gen ed room
Old 10-26-2017, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Opinions of fidgets

-do you give them to your kids?
-if so, do you write it in their IEP?
-do you only use specific kinds?
-are gen ed teachers supportive and allow them?
-any recommendations for favorites?

I am fine with them and generally have a small selection of quiet squeeze balls, rubber items, or pencil grips. In general, kids this year have been really good about asking for, using them correctly, and returning them.

However, I am getting some issues from other teachers. The word "toys" gets used quite a bit. I want to expand my selection but I also think I might need to have some conversations to advocate for my kids.

ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

Not really
Old 10-27-2017, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have found that the majority of special ed students that myself and others have given fidgets to just play with them... no matter what it is.
If itís a ball they throw it..you name it, it ends up being a toy. A girl brought a fidget spinner yesterday (not sure who okíd it) but it spun out and hit another kid in class. I just find they donít use fidgets appropriately so I donít give them any at all.
Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

busybeing

Old 10-27-2017, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I only give them to my kids in extreme cases, for the same reason - they always end up being toys, and some of them can be loud (fidget cubes). I have numerous conversations with the student about why/when/how we use fidgets and they know the immediate consequence is that it gets taken away the second a teacher determines it is not helping them focus. I've found they've learned to self-regulate quickly as long as everyone is consistent.

I've also tried alternatives like placing an exercise band around the bottom of the chair/desk and having the student using their legs to press up against it. This has been a lot more helpful than having something in their hand. Hope that helps!
busybeing is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-27-2017, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have never seen a handheld fidget be anything but a toy/distraction. Even if they're not really using them inappropriately (throwing them around, poking people with them, etc.) they put all of their focus into playing with the fidget. I'm not saying there aren't any kids out there who they work for, but I haven't met any.

I had one student in my gen ed class many years ago (I now teach sped) who had EBD and was extremely distracting and violent. I let her play with a fidget at her seat, even though she was definitely playing with it, because her being distracted by a fidget was much better than her distracting/traumatizing the rest of the class (she'd wonder around and get in kids faces, knock things off their desks, etc.)

Like busybeing said, I have also found the bands around chair legs to work well for some kids, because it's not in their hands, they can't throw it/constantly drop it and pick it up, and they aren't spending time looking at it instead of looking at the teacher/board/whatever they're supposed to be doing.

Last edited by Haley23; 10-27-2017 at 06:01 PM..
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote