Help

Retired Teachers

Library programs for seniors

>

lisa53

Library programs for seniors
Old 10-27-2017, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My friend and boss at the museum just lost her 90 yo mother. In her honor, she is raising money for programs for seniors at the library. Her vision is a bookmobile program that piggybacks on Meals on Wheels, where books (including large print and audiobooks) could be delivered to house bound elderly. She would also like to recruit volunteers to visit seniors and read to them.

Hopefully, I will be working at the library soon. I would love to develop some programs that would appeal to seniors (not only those who are house bound).

So, I am looking for ideas. Are there any programs in your area that might be worth implementing? Do you have a unique idea?

Please share!

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Senior Programs
Old 10-27-2017, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I read about a senior class that met just once to learn how to use their cell phones. I think this is a great idea! Maybe each month they could learn one way to use it. Then they would have time to practice that skill before learning another. Or once a week?

Many seniors develop diabetes and really need some help learning about what foods are good to eat and what is not a good food for them. Some general knowledge about what is considered a sugar rather than just granulated sugar would be good. Also some information about carbohydrates would be helpful. I would also include information about fruit and which ones are lower in sugar and to really watch the quantity. I am sure they get some of this information at the doctor's office but they need some of the information repeated so they can really absorb the information.

How to save money on groceries would be great since most are on a fixed income.

How to eat healthy on a budget.

How to sign up for medicare and what to think about when making choices.

Where and how they can volunteer in their community to make a difference

How to plan for final expenses in life. What are the options?

How to cook for just one or two people and not waste food.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 10-27-2017, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our homebound program run by the library where an associate librarian visits is very well received. We have a bookmobile that visits senior residential living places. We also have a reading partner program where volunteers are matched with seniors and pickup and deliver their books once a month. I love the idea of volunteer readers!

We have volunteer tech time where people tutor individually on how to set up and use their accounts, access ebooks, etc. It is available for all ages, but generally used by seniors. Book of the month book club meetings, special movie screenings, etc. are also well attended by seniors. I've noticed that the library seems to be a really good place for caregivers to bring their loved ones for social interaction while getting some themselves.

I think the class ideas are great too. Ours tend to be labeled as "adult" vs. "kids" or "teens." While they are not specifically marketed to seniors, they make up most of the adult participants.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I really don't have any unique ideas - not sure exactly what programs there are here for seniors, but I have to say I LOVE the idea of the bookmobile in conjunction with Meals on Wheels and having volunteers visit and read to seniors! What a neat program!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

tech tutor
Old 10-28-2017, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My library has a great program for anyone called Tech Tutor. It is on Tues. or Thurs. and you sign up for an appt. to get assistance. I used it recently to scan a document on my phone and email it. Quite easy after she showed me how! Here is the description:

Do you have specific questions about using a computer or other tech device? Need help with certain software applications? Sign up for a one-on-one tutoring session with a staff member and get your questions answered. Ask at the Reference Desk for available days and times.

They also have specific classes for ipads and iphones, with handouts. These are free. Our community college offers them for seniors at a price of $40 for 5 classes.

1959mm is online now   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Old 10-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

1956 - You have a lot of GREAT ideas!! I like the cooking in small quantities idea.

It would also be nice to have a senior food co-op where you split food and share it. No idea how it would be done, but it's hard to go through a whole loaf of bread!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Love that idea Teacherwonder
Old 10-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love to buy the Cutie oranges but my husband doesn't care for them. It is difficult for me to eat them all by myself before they start going bad. It would be great if I could split them with someone.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 10-28-2017, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You're getting some great ideas! I'd love for my local library to do a Movie Matinee one day a week for Seniors. They could do themes....one month show musicals like Oklahoma, Carousel, West Side Story, etc. and maybe one month do some Hitchcock movies or Elvis or Fred Astaire .... It could just be dvd's and a reasonably large screen tv, but I think it would be fun and not too much work for the librarians. Good luck....wish I lived near your library!
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 10-28-2017, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our library has free knitting/crocheting lessons. We also have an adult coloring group. The library provides all the supplies for both. They also have tech classes. How about planting sharing? A class on cooking with herbs & have herbal cuttings & soil. You can make pots out of newspapers. Calligraphy, painting, drawing etc. Make & illustrate a book about the local history. Have elementary students listen to seniors read stories.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote