Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Help Please

>

Marji

Help Please
Old 10-17-2017, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Fellow Teachers! I am hoping all of you wise teachers have some advice to share. I have a student, 4th grade, who rushes through everything from assignments, to tests, to even the non-academic activities. I've talked with him and his parents about slowing down, checking work, I've given him time limits-you can't turn it before you've worked on it for 25 minutes, etc. I've made him redo work, I've let him suffer the consequences of bad grades. I'm at a loss. What can I do to get him to take his work more seriously. He's a smart student and loves school. Thank you for any help.

Marji is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

Ugh!
Old 10-18-2017, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is tough. One idea is to physically cut the task in pieces. They have to hand it in piece by piece. The movement may help them slow down.

Also if you give the student the answer key and they grade their own paper they may see their grades dropping.

You could also give extra points for those who make it 4th grade perfect for working on it for longer than 20 minutes.

I hope others have more ideas. Good Luck.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

Marji

Old 10-22-2017, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for these ideas! I will definitely try them, I appreciate you taking time to share.

daffodils

cutting up work
Old 10-23-2017, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with cutting the work into parts-literally. If you have a one page worksheet, cut it into strips so he can only do say 5 problems at a time. Give a time minimum for each section. Allow him to do absolutely nothing else within that time minimum (no pulling out a book, no doodling, no sleeping, etc).

What does he say about his reason for rushing? Since he's a smart kid who loves school it doesn't seem like it's a "don't care" issue. Is the work too easy for him? If it's an assignment you know he's truly capable of getting say a 90 or higher on if he takes his time, could you motivate him with something like "if you get a 90 or higher than you can spend 15 min researching a topic of your choice? or reading a free choice book or whatever would appeal to him?"

Do his parents support you? Could their be a home incentive? Something about taking his time on assignments ties into something fun at home?
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 10-23-2017, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you have time, sit him by you while he works and have him think aloud as he completes his work- making him read each question out loud. This will slow him down. Try doing that a few times. It might slow him down.

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

What does he do with the extra time?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Make sure that you are not inadvertently rewarding this behavior by allowing a highly desired/preferred activity for early finishers. Most of the time, we let the early finishers choose an activity of their choice.

Monitor that for a while and see what he is choosing: reading, computer, drawing, writing, head down, daydreaming, etc?? Once you figure that out, remove that choice from him and make him pick another...

It may curb his desire to rush. Also, try to grade or look over his turned in work and make him redo however many times it takes.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Minor Adjustment
Old 10-25-2017, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Perhaps you can discuss your concerns with the student as follows:

You are a smart student who loves school. You have a tendency to do things very quickly (which may become an invaluable asset when you eventually enter the job market) - often completing assignments in half the time it takes your peers. The only thing you need to do differently is to make sure that your work is done neatly and correctly. Every time you turn in an assignment with at least 90% accuracy, you can earn a ticket. Ten tickets will enable you to a special privilege (you can discuss different interesting possibilities and decide with the student). It's always better to use honey than vinegar!
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Marji

Old 10-28-2017, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you all for your advice! He loves reading after completing an assignment, so tweaking so it works as a reward will be beneficial. His parents are frustrated with how he rushes through homework-we will be setting home to school and school to home goals. Thanks again!

ConnieWI

Dividing the Assignment
Old 10-29-2017, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Rather than cutting the assignment apart, how about drawing a green line across the page.

When the child completes the work up to that line, he has to see you so you can check that section. Anything he gets wrong up to that point must be corrected before he can begin the next section.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

learnforever

Executive Functioning
Old 11-16-2017, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This may be part of the above issue. Run this situation by your SPED team for some good suggestions. Sounds like it could be ADD impulsivity type behavior to me (40 years in the classroom).

learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote